Chapter 5 The Midnight Dual

Harry pov,

I never believed that I would ever meet a boy I hated more than Dudley, but that was before he met Draco Malfoy. Still first-year Gryffindors only had Potions with the Slytherins, so they didn't have to put up with Malfoy much. Or at least, they didn't until they spotted a notice pinned up in the Gryffindor common room that made them all groan. 'The one that's remotely good is Caroline in my opinion but I could be wrong.' Flying lessons would be starting on Thursday ---- and Gryffindor and Slytherin would be learning together.

"Typical," I replied darkly. "Just what I wanted. To make a fool of myself on a broomstick in front of Malfoy." I have been looking forward to learning to fly more than anything else.

"You don't know that you'll make a fool of yourself," Ron said reasonably. "Anyway, I know Malfoy's always going on about how good he is at Quidditch, but I bet that's all talk." Malfoy search and we did talk about flying a lot. He complained loudly about the first years never getting on the House Quidditch team and told long, boastful stories that always seem to end with him nearly escaping Muggles in helicopters. He wasn't the only one though: the way Seamus Finnigan told it, he'd spent most of his childhood zooming around the countryside on his broomstick. Even Ron would tell anyone who'd listen about the time he almost hit a hang glider on Charlie's old broom. Everyone from wizarding families talked about Quidditch constantly. Ron had already had a big argument with Dean Thomas, who shared their dormitory, about soccer. Ron couldn't see what was so exciting about a game with only one ball where no one was allowed to fly. I had caught Ron prodding Dean's poster of West Ham soccer team, trying to make the players move.

Neville had never been on a broomstick in his life, because his grandmother had never let him near one. Privately I honestly figured that she'd most likely have a good reason, because Neville managed to have an extraordinary number of accidents even with both of his feet on the ground.

Hermione Granger was almost as nervous about flying as Neville was. This was something that you couldn't learn by heart out of a book - not that she hadn't tried. At breakfast on Thursday she bored them all stupid with flying tips she gotten out of a library book called Quidditch Through The Ages. Neville was hanging on to her every word, desperate anything that might help him hang on to his broomstick later, but everybody else was pleased when Hermione's lecture was interrupted by me.

I looked up when I saw Caroline walk in and I remembered that on Monday she had started that assistant job that Snape gave her as a punishment. "I wonder how her assistant job has been so far." I spoke without thinking, Hermione stopped what she was talking about to look over at her.

"I don't know but apparently she's been venting to Sheila by letters so I doubt that it's going well, if she needs to vent about it." Hermione said and was about to continue, but then got interrupted again. This time by the arrival of the mail.

Caroline pov,

I heard Harry and Hermione talking about me and my letters to my sister and I laughed softly to myself, but the laugh wasn't there for that long once she heard Malfoy gloating that Harry hasn't gotten any letters since Hagrid's note. Malfoy's stupid eagles owl was always bringing him stuff from his house.

I smiled when I saw my owl Jalice Romett fly in with four letters for me and one to Harry with everyone in one letter.

My owl also gave me a sword from Edward, Jacob, Jasper, and Emmett although there was a note that said "only use in emergencies"

Harry looked over at me when he opened the envelope that had said To Harry Potter.

Draco glared at me when he saw Harry getting an envelope from my owl and walked over and was about to yell at me. As he was about to open his mouth I opened my present and smirked at him. "Go on. Open your shitty little mouth. And see what happens.. let's just say you won't be nearly headless." His eyes went wide, then walked over to Snape and tattled on me once again, I rolled my eyes grabbed my things and went to my room to hide my sword.