RELUCTANT(Chapter 34)

Baji's words hung in the air, cut short before their completion. The uncertainty of his intended message gnawed at me. Would it have been a playful jab or a sincere sentiment? I'd never know. He was slipping away, and the realization hit hard—no more arguments, no more laughter, no more Baji.

As Baji's life force faded, Chifuyu Kun gasped, his shock mirroring mine. I reached for a pulse, but there was nothing. Baji was gone. The weight of the moment pressed on me—he had died on my brother's death anniversary, the same day my brother, once thought dead, resurfaced.

"Y/n-chan, is he—" Chifuyu Kun began, his voice heavy with grief. Though the answer was apparent, I confirmed it with a solemn nod. Chifuyu let out a heart-wrenching cry, joining the chorus of mourning that enveloped us.

Tears flowed freely, mixed with cries of self-blame from those around us. In the midst of the anguish, Mikey's tears fell, but his grief was channeled into violence as he turned to Kazutora, striking him.

Takemichi's voice cut through the chaos, his words a beacon of reason. "Baji Kun just died. What are you doing?" he yelled, his composure contrasting our collective despair.

Takemichi sprung into action, attempting to prevent Mikey from becoming a murderer. He was doing what I had promised to do, a promise that was proving difficult to keep in my weakened state. I struggled to stand, my pain and exhaustion was nothing in comparison to Takemichi's battered condition but, that didn't stop him from helping Mikey I need to help takemichi Kun.

Horrified, I watched as Mikey's anger shifted toward Takemichi, unleashing a torrent of blows that left him badly injured. Overwhelmed, I made my way toward them, every step agony, my only goal to halt Mikey's rage.

"Mikey Kun, please stop!" I implored, wrapping my arms around him in an attempt to restrain him.

"Let go, or you'll be next," he warned, his voice low and dangerous.

"No! I promised you I'd stop you if you went too far. I won't let you kill Kazutora or Takemichi Kun," I asserted, holding onto Mikey with all my might.

"Mikey Kun, Baji Kun sacrificed his life to protect Kazutora and Toman. Are you really going to disregard his final wish?" I continued, my voice shaking but determined. "I won't let you live with this regret and ruin your own life. You have a future ahead of you, a life that's worth preserving."

My grip tightened, and I held on with the hope that my words would reach him, that they would remind him of the values he held dear. In the midst of tragedy, I pleaded for Mikey to find a way back from the edge, to honor Baji's sacrifice and not allow his own grief to consume him.

Amid the chaos, my words seemed to reach Mikey, if only for a moment. His struggles began to subside, and his grip loosened. He stared at Kazutora and Takemichi, his emotions a whirlwind of anger, grief, and confusion.

Takemichi's battered form lay on the ground, bloodied and bruised, a stark reminder of the violence that had unfolded. His presence, his tenacity to stand against Mikey's fury, exemplified a resilience I could only admire.

"Mikey, we can't bring Baji back, but we can choose how we honor his sacrifice," I implored softly, my arms still around Mikey, anchoring him in the midst of his storm of emotions.

For a moment, it felt as though time stood still. The air was heavy with sorrow, the weight of the loss and the decisions made in its aftermath pressing down on all of us.

Takemichi, though grievously hurt, mustered the strength to speak once more. "Mikey, listen to Y/n-chan. Baji wouldn't want this."

As the words settled in the air, a hushed stillness enveloped the scene. Mikey's trembling form seemed to falter, his expression shifting as he gazed at Kazutora, the embodiment of his anger and vengeance.