vii

Hey y'all

Gracie Madigan Abrams was by no means a violent person

Gracie Madigan Abrams was by no means a violent person. Not unless it came to defending her friends. Amelie found this out the hard way in second grade.

Amelie and her siblings had only been in America for a few months. She loved school in France, so she didn't doubt that she'd love it in America for even a second, but her limited English language skills made her feel self-conscious. In her 2nd-grade class, Amelie often struggled to communicate with her classmates, who sometimes made fun of her accent and mistakes.

One day, during recess, a boy named Ethan began mocking Amelie's attempts to speak English. He imitated her accent, causing laughter among a group of kids. Amelie felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment, and her eyes welled up with tears. Gracie knew violence was never the answer, but when it came to the triplets, it was the question and the answer was yes. She couldn't stand to see any of them in distress.

With a fiery determination, Gracie marched up to Ethan and confronted him. "Stop making fun of my Mimi! It's not nice," Gracie exclaimed, her voice trembling with anger.

Ethan smirked and retorted, "Why? She can't even speak proper English." Gracie's fists clenched, her face reddened, and without a second thought, she swung her small fist, landing a solid punch on Ethan's face.

Ethan stumbled back, clearly surprised by Gracie's swift retaliation. The playground fell silent as the other children watched in shock. Amelie looked at Gracie with wide eyes before her lips split into a wide grin. The recess monitors rushed over, separating the three children and escorting them to the headteacher's office.

Inside the office, Headteacher Anderson sat behind his desk, his brows furrowed in concern. He listened to the accounts of the incident from Amelie, Gracie, and Ethan. Amelie, her voice shaky, explained how she had been struggling with English and how the bullying had hurt her feelings. Gracie defended her actions, explaining that she couldn't stand to see her friend being mistreated.

Headteacher Anderson sighed, realising the complexity of the situation. He praised Gracie for standing up for her friend but also explained that physical violence wasn't the right solution. He turned to Ethan and firmly admonished his behaviour, reminding him that empathy and kindness were important values.

As Gracie and Amelie left the office, Gracie smiled and looked at her friend. "You have to pay me back now," She said softly.

"How?" Amelie asked. "I can't punch someone like you did."

"A kiss," Gracie said mischievously, tapping her cheek. "Right here."

Amelie looked around anxiously before pressing a quick kiss to Gracie's cheek, making the older girl grin.

"I'm gonna go tell Abby and Audrey. See you in English!"

"Gracie, wait!" Amelie called out after her.