Chapter 5: Awaken, Hokuto Shinken! The Fist of the North Star!

They all stared at each for a moment. Then Raphtalia and Rifana forced a smile

Raphtalia:"I want to live too".

Rifana:"I want to be stronger".

Naofumi and Luciel gave them a smile and failed to hold back some tears.

Naofumi/Luciel:"We did it."

Naofumi recalled two days ago when he first looked her in the eyes. That she looked like she had given up on everything. She looked like she was waiting to die..., but in such a short time she'd changed her mind. She wanting to live.

Naofumi:"If someone like her can smile then I have no right to be sad."

They had a quiet morning. Naofumi and Luciel cleaned Raphtalia and Rifana of the blood, then themselves. They chopped off the rabbit's foots, then skinned it, then started the fire and began cooking the meat. They finally food some edible monsters so maybe they wouldn't be forced back to town so soon.

Raphtalia and Rifana watched the meat and was told when and how to check them, while Naofumi and Luciel tried something.

.

[Usapil Shield]

+3 agi

.

[Lucky Charm Shield]

+ item drop rate increase (small)

.

Just as they predicted. If Usapil's were this world's rabbits, then a Usapil's foot was basically a lucky rabbit's foot, though Luciel was a little bummed that he didn't get a weapon from the monster. Now with 4 total item drop rate up items they remembered to check their drops menu.

There wasn't anything of note dropped from any of the Balloons, just more leather scraps. The Mush monsters had dropped some weird fungus. If Naofumi had [Glass Lens Shield] and [Mush Shield] mastered he could probably know what it did. The Usapil dropped nothing. As expected with no drop rate bonuses in effect and only 1 killed.

Naofumi updated his priority list for shield mastery.

Naofumi:"The other 2 slaver shields first, for Raphtalia. Next my 4 item drop shields, can't miss out on opportunities. Next [Glass Lens Shield] and [Computer Shield]. Then [Wood Shield], [Leaf Shield], and [Druggist's Mortar Shield]. It was important to make medicine, but it would made more logistical sense to master these 3 before the shields that make the created product better. That's because I'd be able to stockpile ingredients with the first 3 shields and so receive benefit, then after all my medicine shields are mastered... I can use all my ingredients I have with my combined bonuses to make a lot of high-quality medicine and rake in a lot of coin".

Raphtalia looked at her master to see him making a face she did not like

Raphtalia:"Master... What are you thinking about?"

What she said made Rifana and Luciel look as well

Naofumi immediately broke from his thought and tried to think something

Naofumi:"I was ju- Is the food done?"

Raphtalia was well aware of the deflection, but answered all the same,

Raphtalia:"Nearly".

When she and Rifana returned to look at the meat Luciel kept looking at Naofumi. As always he had a completely blank face, it did help that his glasses completely covered his eyes, almost nobody was able to tell what was he thinking most of the time. Except Naofumi, he learned to read Luciel emotions through the years, and he knew what he was thinking.