22| Bed & Breakfast

As Justin clarified, he and Dad return home thirty minutes before nine which gave Justin enough time to rinse away the layer of dirt staining his skin and look over the overnight bag I packed for him. By nine o'clock, I'm saying goodbye to my parents on the way out the door, as they cuddle on the couch.

I can't help but notice Pattie's car in the driveway and the illumination of light behind the curtains in the living room. I know Justin hadn't been to see his mother since their conversation but I knew it wasn't my place to intervene. That didn't mean I couldn't send her a text letting her know that Justin and I were actively working to save our marriage.

The car ride ended up being a lot longer than I anticipated and I don't realize I've slept the remainder of the drive until I'm woken up by Justin with a kiss on the forehead. Justin grabs our bags from the car and then leads the way toward a large historic mansion. It had two stories—both with a porch wrapped around its entirety. On the way to the front door, I notice the sign pinned out front. Bed & Breakfast.

We enter inside where we're given a brief tour of the residence, and then handed the keys to our room. The place was beautiful—designed with mahogany wood that lined each railing and staircase. Our hosts take us to the common areas: a place to use a phone or computer if you didn't have one, the dining room which housed an enormous table that was set for a seven-course meal, and the table tennis board and jacuzzi on the back patio.

Justin and I discuss plans to make our way to the patio after settling into our room. Once we make it to the door, Justin insists I be the one to unlock it. He claimed the reason was because of our bags, but I know the bags aren't what prevents him from unlocking the door. Either way, I don't waste time arguing my point when he pretends to struggle to pass me the keys.

When I open the door, I notice tee lights and rose petals lining the floor like a map to a special destination. The room is set up like a miniature house, with a living room, bedroom, and bathroom. On the way through the living room led by the trail on the floor, it breaks at an envelope placed on the coffee table with a vase filled with a mixture of sunflowers and roses.

Without turning to look at Justin, I know it's his doing. If there was anything Justin was amazing at, it was coming up with the most romantic ways to pamper me. I smile at him then pick the envelope from the table to open it. Inside is an index card with words written in big black bold letters.

GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD

He doesn't allow a second to pass and manages to explain the purpose of the card before confusion could ruin the moment. He grabs ahold of my hand and pulls our bodies closer to each other.

"Your Dad made me realize something during our conversation today. He made me realize that I don't want to lose you. I know we've both made our fair share of mistakes, but I didn't quite understand the problem with what I did because it's reversible. Now I know that it's not only about that. It's the principle of what I did. It wasn't okay."

He continues to explain the purpose of the get-out-of-jail-free card. Summing it up to an opportunity to get out of any situation—excluding the obvious—without any resistance from him. He said it was because he thought it was a gesture that made him look serious about our future together. I loved the gesture but I didn't see a purpose for it because technically, he'd already given me one before when he chose to forgive me for cheating. I don't tell him my thoughts on the card. Instead, I place it back inside the envelope and give him a quick peck on the lips before continuing to follow the trail of lights and petals.

The trail ends in the bedroom with a heart that lays at the foot of the queen-sized bed. In the middle of the heart is a small blue velvet box that no doubt housed a piece of jewelry. Justin reaches for it before I have a chance, and encourages me to open it. Inside the box is a silver bracelet with a cursive script in the middle.