5

You were only 8 when you first met the king of the pirates.
-20 years in the past-

With y/n:
Gold Rodger was a dangerously spontaneous character for sure but In your young age you saw him as a role model. Twice a year he made a trip to your island but you were never sure what for. Some people speculate that he was hiding parts of the one piece, scatting it across the Grand Line. Others say he had business with a merchant getting some rare stuff like devil fruit and such. The lesser agreed with speculation that you personally believed was that he fell in love with a woman on the island. Regardless of any of those reasons he still visited every year without fail and you quickly became acquainted with the pirates.

"You, girl!" You turn and look at the pirates hoisting barrels of booze onto their big ship. You stare at the man who called you. A man with a long coat and glasses stood before you carrying two huge crates of food. "Are you talking to me?" You questioned the man. "Yes, would you pick up that loaf of bread and toss it up here?" He asked. You look down and spot the bread. Grabbing it you throw it back up into the crate. "Thanks kid." He gives you a small nod and continues onto the ship. "Rayleigh, were you asking that young girl to help you?" A man with a big mustache and pirate hat chuckled. "Couldn't be helped Roger, I dropped something and my hands were full." He shrugged. The man with the mustache walked up to you and bent down. "Sorry about the trouble little miss, we promise we'll be in our way in just a bit." He said smiling. "O-oh that's alright I didn't mind helping him." You say. "Either way it's probably not best for you to be spotted near us so run on home." He stood, giving you a little pat on the head.

You looked up at him with a sparkle in you eye as you watched his coat blow in the wind. "So. Cool." You say quietly then run off ready to tell your friends about the encounter. "Hey!" You stop and turn him. He holds a finger over his lips and smiles. You nod and rush home never telling a soul of the pirates on your shore. Years started to pass and every month you'd wait in anticipation of his arrival. You became very attached to jolly man.

Until one year he showed up and only stayed for a few days. While he departed he broke the news that he would no longer be traveling to your island anymore. Being completely honest you were devastated. You tried to reason with him but he refused to change his mind. "This isn't goodbye y/n. Be good and maybe one day we'll meet again out on the grand line." He smiled and patted your head. "No you can't leave!" You cry. "I'm sorry Kid but I don't have a choice. This is for your own safety." Nothing he would say could stop your tears. You would never see him again.

"Captain! Rayleigh says we need to set sail now!" You perk up at the voice yelling over your cries. You sniffle and look over Rogers shoulder seeing two boys your age starring back at you from the edge of the large ship. "Who are they?" You whispered. Roger looked over his shoulder and chucked. "New crew mates, two young boys named Shanks and Buggy." He says standing up. "Please don't leave." You begged, one last attempt to convince him to stay. "I'm sorry y/n."

And with that he boarded his ship and sailed away only to be executed mere days later.