IV- Yet Another Funeral

May 4, 2016London

May 4, 2016
London

Celestia stood next to Sam as the coffin, carried by Steve and a few other people, was brought in.

Her heart hurt when Steve came and stood next to Sam, his face wet with tears, and red from all the crying.

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words." The priest said after delivering his speech about Peggy.

Celestia watched as a woman walked up to the podium. Celestia furrowed her brows, and looked over to her left, seeing Sam nudge Steve, and motioned to the podium, where Sharon Carter, or Kate, or Agent 13, stood.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D.. but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy." Sharon spoke, making both Celestia and Sam look at Steve, their eyebrows furrowed, but Steve just kept looking at Sharon.

"She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related." Sharon seemed to be staring straight at Steve as she said that, making Celestia furrow her brows once more. "I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time where no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. She said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move.. it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree.. look them in the eye and say 'No, you move.'."

**

Celestia was sitting on the pew next to where Steve was standing, as she refused to leave, just to make sure he was alright, even though she knew he wasn't. They both did.

The sound of footsteps made them both look at the entrance of the cathedral, and see Natasha walking over to them. Celestia stood up as Natasha approached them and stood next to the now blonde.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone." Steve spoke as he leant against the pew. "Then I found out she was alive. I was just lucky to have her."

"She had you back too." Nat spoke, looking at Steve with a caring look in them, but Celestia could see she wasn't just here to comfort Steve.

"Who else signed?" Steve asked. Apparently he could also see the look in Natasha's eye.

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision." Nat said, sighing.

"Did Clint?" Celestia asked quietly, not knowing what she would prefer as Nat's answer.

"Says he's retired." Nat shrugged.

"Wanda?" Celestia asked again, even though she was pretty sure Wanda wouldn't sign it.

"TBD." Natasha spoke, a sort of sarcastic bitterness in her voice. "I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the accords. There's plenty of room on the jet."

Steve sighed, and looked at Celestia slightly, who sighed too, and held a look in her eye that said, "I know you're not going to, and it's okay".

"Just because it's the path of least resistance.. doesn't mean it's the wrong path." Nat said, stepping closer to Steve, knowing he would need more convincing than Celestia. "Staying together is more important than how we stay together."

"What are we giving up to do it?" Steve asked making Nat sigh, and shrug slightly.

"I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it." Steve said, shaking his head.

"I know." Nat said softly, looking at him.

"Then what are you doing here?" Steve asked her, a hint of confusion in his voice.

"I wanted to be here for you." Nat said after a few seconds of silence, slightly motioning to the picture of Peggy that was still up.

Nat pulled Steve in for a hug, looking at Celestia over his shoulder. The blonde gave a slight nod back, a small smile on her face.

After a few seconds Nat pulled away from the hug with Steve, and looked at Celestia. She looked back with a look in her eye that said "Give me a minute"

Nat nodded, and rubbed Steve's shoulder before she left.

Steve looked at the ground, sniffing slightly.

"You're gonna sign, aren't you?" He asked while still looking at the ground.

Celestia stayed silent for a few moments before she spoke.

"Yeah." She sighed out. "I don't want to fight with you though. I don't want to be on opposing sides of this." Steve opened his mouth to speak, but she spoke first. "I'm not going to try and change your mind though. I knew that you weren't going to sign." She raised an arm to his shoulder and rubbed it.

She sighed. "I just- well, I know Adi's an adult now, and she's off, living her life, but I can't leave her. I want to be here for her, even if it means giving up my freedom." She shrugged.

Steve nodded and sighed. "Well, I guess I'm not going to try and change your mind either." He hummed out, shrugging.

Celestia smiled slightly, and looked at him.

"Well, like Natty said, if you do want to change your mind, it's never too late." She spoke, knowing he would never change his mind.

He nodded and wrapped his arms around her waist, bringing her closer and burying his head in her neck, hugging her.

"Thank you." He mumbled into her neck as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"For what?" She asked quietly.

"For being here. For being you." He shrugged, keeping his arms around her waist and head in her neck.

She smiled softly, and played with the bottom of his hair as they hugged.

"I'll see you in a few days, yeah?" She said after a few minutes of hugging.

"Yeah. I'll probably be in prison, but I'll see you." He said, a slight bit of humour in his voice, which was still muffled from his face being buried in her neck.

She scoffed out a laugh and shook her head. "Well, I hope not." She spoke softly, as they continued hugging, not wanting to let each other go, but they knew they had to. And for some reason, when she finally did pull away, she felt as if everything had changed. He had made his decision, she had made hers, but it felt strange.

She felt strange until she walked outside to Nat. She felt strange as they were making their way to the plane. And she still felt strange as they flew over to Vienna, where she knew, everything was definitely going to change.

And I finally updated, after how long? Months? I don't think anyone will even read this, ngl, but whatever 😝