Shopping

After a long and dramatic day, Camila went to take a small nap. She was sure the kids could care for themselves for only an hour, right? She had set them in front of the TV and a puzzle for them to do which should've kept them occupied and entertained. Camila was wrong.

Camila woke up to an unusually silent house. She checked the time and nearly freaked out. She had fallen asleep around 6:00 PM and it was already almost 8:15 AM the next day. She jumped from the bed and ran to the living room to check on the kids. As she poked her head into the living room, she saw them peacefully watching the television. Hunter sat criss-crossed on the floor beside the sofa while Luz and Vee laid spread out on the couch.

"Good morning, Mami," Luz joyfully exclaimed as she hopped from the couch and ran to give her mother a hug. Vee smiled while Hunter stared forwards at the TV, practically ignoring her presence.

"Did you guys go to sleep last night?" Camila asked as Luz jumped back onto the couch beside Vee.

"Yes, Hunter made sure we went to bed," Vee explained. "At exactly 7:30 PM, we brushed our teeth and even got into pajamas as well,"

"Oh," Camila murmured. She turned to Hunter who was now looking up at her directly in her eyes. "Thank you, Hunter. That was really smart of you and responsible,"

Hunter nodded in acknowledgment.

"Do you guys want some breakfast? I can go make something if that's what you guys would like," Camila offered.

"Can you make pancakes?" Luz pleaded. "Please, mami, I don't think they have ever tried pancakes before,"

Camila was just going to make something simple but pancakes sound pretty good.

"Yes, I will, do you three want to help me?" Camila asked.

"I can?" Vee smiled.

"Yes ma'am," Hunter responded as he got up in front of her. Camila cringed a little at the "ma'am" but I guess due to his crazy Uncle, he was supposed to call her that. But it was also one of the very few times Hunter has spoken directly to Camila, the other times being either to apologize or greet her.

"You don't have to call me that, hijo," Camila told him. "Anything that you're comfortable with,"

Hunter nodded again. Camila softly smiled and she went to the kitchen to begin gathering the ingredients. As she was about to open the fridge, she saw a note taped to the front. Grocery List was plastered in red sharpie on the paper.

" Oh sí, necesito ir de compras al supermercado," Camila remembered. She turned around and saw that Luz and Vee already had aprons on, giggling in excitement to help. Camila softly clapped her hands together, making sure not to startle them.

"So I forgot that we needed to go shopping for food, it must've slipped my mind completely," Camila awkwardly chuckled.

"So we can go to the store?" Luz asked. She loved going to the store, especially because the newest Azura book had just been released and she wanted to get it.

"Yes, it shouldn't be so long, we just need some food and some clothes for Hunter and Vee," Camila stated. "Just go get some clothes on and I'll make a small snack before we go,"

The three of them went to go get dressed while Camila cut up some bananas and grapes and put them on three different plates. Just as she was pouring some fruit punch into cups, Hunter came into the kitchen.

"Do you need anything?" Camila asked. Hunter stared at his feet and fiddled with his hands.

"I don't have any more clothes," he quietly said.