Redeem me, (Korekiyo's arc)

I watched her head slowly nodding through hazy eyes. She heeded me.

She seized my arms, pulling me up as my bewildered self collapsed in her embrace.

She touched my hair and whispered with her agonized yet soft-spoken voice. "I will leave you for now but... Korekiyo, I am... disappointed. I came here, I explored the world in hopes that I will find you and save you from your despair but I was looking at the wrong side of the story all along,"

Disappointed? So that means... I am a disappointment?

I'm not a good person? Maybe, you are correct, maybe I am the villain of this story, after all... if you're disappointed in me and if you were looking at the wrong side of the story... all this time.

I was alone, in my room, in my small, unlighted, room where I spent most of my time... secluded with my thoughts.

I can't forgive myself, I am a villain after all... a true disappointment!

It's better this way, I don't want to inflict trouble, pain, and suffering to anyone. I don't want them to waste their time caring for me. This room, this is where a villain, I, should remain. Forever and alone.

"I know you're in there, Korekiyo,"

I didn't answer, I stayed in my place. I knew that opening that door was not the best thing I could do in this state. It's better this way... being alone.

"Korekiyo, you just can't stay there..."

But... I wanted to stay here, in my small, unlighted, room where no one can see me, no one will come get me and... where I can be alone with my thoughts.

However, I also know you're right. If I kept on like this, I might never accept myself again and I cannot let that happen.

I must face this head on, I must answer for my crimes and I will open the door.

"Please, open the door,"

I slowly and hesitantly turn the lock of the door, the light that enters the room is blinding and I could feel the outside air filling the corners of my darkness. It was a welcome change to the small space I've locked myself in.

"You look lost and... you're not wearing your mask, anymore?"

"Yes, I have decided not to as I am not a good person with it... on,"

I took a deep, calming breath and looked at you with a serious and focused face.

I need to make you realize that everything you told me was true. I need to admit that I was a villain, a true disappointment and I, Korekiyo Shinguji, have been and maybe will forever be, a true monster. A monster without a mask.

"Korekiyo, why did you wear a mask to begin with?"

I stayed silent, looking at you and your ocean blue eyes, wondering how to speak.

I wore the mask because it was a part I liked to play. A part that would make me look mysterious and... cool. I know that was another mistake I had made. Wearing a mask of the person I wanted to be but I couldn't accept the truth, I didn't want anyone to see the true, awful, me.

"Korekiyo, why did you wear a mask?"

You asked again. And I could only stare at you, seemingly rendered mute but I know I was merely finding the right words to describe why. To justify why.

The reason why I wore a mask was because I wanted to be someone I'm not and never will be. Someone that didn't need to admit the truth, someone to be loved, someone to be cared for and... I wanted to be like that.

Rakuen's point of view

I stared at Korekiyo, he was unresponsive but he seemed to be thinking of something. I didn't know he could be this beautiful without a mask. Yet he looks restless, as if he's been torturing himself. I knew it was wrong, he killed his comatose sister and abused her but I had loved this man for years.

I reached for his face and caressed him, there was a ghost of a smile on his lips.

"Korekiyo, I'm sorry.. I should have gotten in your life earlier and maybe... then I could have saved you from the monster you were,"

Korekiyo's point of view

I was once again confused. Why? Just why? Why do you still care for me even though I'm such a monster? Why do you still think that I could be saved from what I have become?

I stayed still, thinking. You can't save me. I can't be saved. I don't deserve to be saved. I am a monster. That I am.

But then, a thought started creeping into my mind. A thought that would start to make me question my entire existence.

"Korekiyo, please... just talk to me. I can't hear your thoughts so please voice them out!"

I looked deeply into your eyes, searching your soul for answers. I wanted to know what led you to still care and love me after knowing what an absolute monster I was.

Then I started to realize, this might be my chance to truly redeem myself from the sin I have committed. If I had to talk, the one I would talk to... it would be you, my dear.

So. I finally answered.

"Why? Why do you still care for me? After everything I had done?"

"Because I loved... you in my dreams, Korekiyo. So to see a different reality, as much as it disgusts me, I just can't suddenly switch off my heart and turn my back on you!"

You loved "me" in your dreams? You couldn't suddenly turn off your heart?

I thought for you, I was worthless, that you would hate me but you still love me? Even after knowing who I really am...?

"Korekiyo, I have dreamed of you for years... in that dream, you were abused but now that I have seen you and the truth revealed itself. You killed your sister who was never awake in the first place...! She was comatose, Korekiyo!"

That... changed things, I killed someone who couldn't defend themself. I am a monster, that much is true. To believe in me, to love what I have become... It's a very foolish thing to do.

She touched my face once again, it was strange, how could she withstand her own revulsion and reach me.. still, with nothing but gentleness in her hand? As if she was afraid to... wound me when her words speak for the truth?

"Korekiyo, I cannot love you in this form. I am a spirit medium, I help those who suffer, be it spirits or people who have souls and it is the same to you, Korekiyo. You must repent. That is what your departed sister had asked me. For you to atone for your sins."

Repent?

For all the sins, I have committed?

Repent... so I can be forgiven?

But, how?

How can I repent for everything I have done?

Rakuen's point of view

"I'm sorry," Tears started to overcome my vision, I looked at Korekiyo with pained eyes. "I can't turn my back from the truth no matter how much I love you, Korekiyo."

I caged his face with my hands and rested my forehead against his chin. I wanted to savor his warmth for the last time.

"You.. you.. should die," I swallowed the lump in my throat and I felt him tremble with my words, "That is the only way to repent, Korekiyo,"

Because I now know the truth. Korekiyo may have lived as a victim in my dreams but a dream showed up last night... it was the real him. The real him he buried under his mask. It was the monster he hid from everyone while living a double life, while delusional and with his distorted devotion towards his sister... he had taken a lot of girls in her name because he believes in her.