Chapter 4

Roughly 174 Years Ago

The food had not even dropped yet, but a horde of monsters clashed against each other, clawing and tearing each other apart. A few small monsters and maskless humans attempted to weave through the chaos, taking advantage of their diminutive size and strength, prepared to sneak and take the packets in the commotion.

Sky froze, clutching her kitchen knife to her chest, unable to take another step. "We can't do this!" she called out to Salim who continued walking. "Hey! Old man! You'll just get hurt!"

Salim turned and chuckled. "Do not worry, child. I will be fine. Stay safe if you wish; I will get us food."

Still frozen in fear, Sky watched as Salim casually walked towards the chaos, the battlefield of monsters, only armed with the blunt gardening tools they could find in the Land of the Lost, as all of the real weapons, swords, axes and such, had already been salvaged.

The sky opened up, the moon above splitting apart into a bloodshot iris; the giant eye glanced around at the prisoners below, widening in delight at the bloodshed. A voice, bodiless, echoed across the plains, counting down in a language Sky did not know. Then the light shone down as hundreds of packets plummeted down, raining onto the horde of monsters with such force a few were knocked unconscious whilst others fought through the hail, enduring the bludgeoning bruises and the savage attacks from the surrounding monsters.

Salim reached the edge of the battlefield, within striking distance of so many monsters before him, and yet he did not reach for any weapons in his bag; he continued unarmed.

"Hey!" Sky cried out. "You senile old man! Come back!"

But her voice was drowned out by the screams of the other prisoners and the monsters' roars.

Salim headed towards the closest pile of packets, guarded by a group of monsters that towered over him.

Sky watched in horror as one of the monsters charged at Salim, her voice caught in her staggered breath, and then she froze in disbelief.

With a singular move, Salim had disarmed the monster of its sword, then, with a pivot of his feet, pierced the monster through the head with the blade. The monster collapsed to the ground with a grounding-shaking thud.

How...

Salim then turned to the other monsters, eyeing the pile of packets they hoarded. It was over instantly, as Salim once again barely moved, and the monsters collapsed. Sky could barely catch the old man's movements, quick and precise, using barely any energy or effort; all of them clean kills, all to the brain, barely any spill of blood. Other prisoners and monsters caught sight of him using the opportunity to attack and gain the packets for themselves, but it was all futile. It was like he could predict everyone's movements, and all he had to do was step slightly to the side to evade the oncoming barrage of attacks, and then, in a flash, he struck with his new sword.

Those smart enough had already retreated with what packets they could, and Salim remained alone on the battlefield, surrounded by fallen monsters and prisoners that had dared get in his way. He finally turned around and looked at Sky in the distance, still frozen in place.

After breaking from her paralysis, Sky ran over, stuffing as many packets as possible into multiple bags. She had never gotten this much at a drop-off before. She would have been lucky enough to get enough to feed her for a week.

Once all the packets were claimed, Sky rose to her feet, unable to look at Salim directly, her eyes falling on the defeated instead. "It doesn't seem like you need help escaping," she forced a laugh. "I think you'll do fine all by yourself."