Chapter 6

20 Years Ago

Despite it being Princess Corinna's birthday, it seemed that the day was more for the civilian's benefit rather than her own enjoyment. If it were up to her, she would spend it reading all day and with all the food she could stuff her face with. However, it was unfortunately not up to her but the royal event advisor, who planned an entire parade through the streets of the capital which Cori had to wave the entire time. The upside to having to wear a mask permanently was that she did not have to smile also, as no one could see it.

The parade would then be followed by music and dance and stunt acts, then a feast in the castle amongst other nobilities which the princess would not be able to eat even a bite since she had to wear her mask alongside the rest of the royal family.

For the special day, Princess Cori had been gifted a new mask which she helped design herself, one inspired by her favourite story with its signature silver tree leaf adorning the mask. To match, she wore an emerald green dress with silver embellishments.

The princess looked at herself in the mirror, her gloved hands tracing the silver leaves on her mask.

Today she will now be eleven years old, and still she had no magic.

Everyone developed them at different ages, perhaps she was just a late bloomer, but Cori still felt ashamed whenever she was reminded that Alfreda could cast spells at nine years old, and Osmond at seven. There was also the worry that she was a non-mage, but her parents kept on telling her they could sense the power inside her, it would just take its own time to finally be released.

Once the princess was ready, Rhea and two royal guards escorted her to the first of many birthday activities, but what Cori was most looking forward to was seeing her family, even if it was just to stand next to them and waving at crowds.

They headed to the greeting hall where Princess Alfreda, Prince Osmond, Queen Consort Henrietta I, and King Casimir II awaited them. As a tradition, the royal family were adorned in their own colour and unique mask.

Osmond, the oldest of the siblings, wore his usual red and black mask with a matching tricorn hat, red and black long feathers sticking out of it. His gloved hand rested on the hilt of his sheathed sword by his hip.

Henrietta, Cori's mother and queen consort, wore what looked like her golden battle armour and mask that she wore every day, the only difference being that her spear was less practical and more decorative. But Cori knew that she was still as deadly as ever with it.

Alfreda, the middle child, broke from centuries of tradition and wore a multitude of colours, never committing to a particular one or style of mask, her reason being that she looked absolutely stunning in anything, so why only pick one? Today, however, she chose a mask that had a gold resplendent disk that made it look like she had a glowing halo, likely wanting to outshine everyone else despite it being her sister Cori's birthday and not hers.

King Casimir, Cori's father, wore the simplest and least gaudy garments of the family; however, everyone could not help but be drawn to him, the natural charisma he exuded could not be replaced by frivolous clothes and masks. His own mask was a plain white with purple eyes and lips, on which sat the silver crown, more humble compared to the monarch's of the past. His robes were a matching azure and white, his sleeves long and hiding his gloved hands.

"There's my little girl," said King Casimir, crouching with open arms as Cori ran into his embrace. "How was your birthday breakfast?" he asked. "I requested for the chefs to cook all your favourites."

Princess Cori nodded, giggling. "I loved it."

"Are you excited for today?"

Cori nodded again, unable to control her smiles under her mask.