Chapter 8

Day: 3122

Days Left: 2358

Lives Saved: 17

The raven swooped over the campestral forest of emerald, spotting more travellers arriving at the camps surrounding the city, and then made a mental note for their report later. As it approached darkness, the entire flock of ravens swirled in the sky and headed back to the safety behind the walls of The Warren, converging on the head of security and defences building. The flock of ravens dove to one of the open windows on the top floor of the building, merging into one being as they landed on the windowsill and turned back into their human form: Talon, whose jet black hair was scruffy and sticking upright from the transformation. They lifted the raven mask from their face, then brushed off a few remaining raven feathers from their clothes, the metal bracelets on their wrist clinking together as they did so.

"You left it a bit too late," said Captain of the Guard, Lili Abedayo, from her seat at the office desk, a pile of admin and reports on the table in neat piles. "You're overworking yourself."

"That's quite hypocritical of you to say so, Captain," replied Talon, remaining to sit on the windowsill, legs hanging and gently swaying and kicking.

Lili chuckled slightly. "Perhaps," she said. "But I do not risk being unable to transform back with my line of work. Do you want to stay as a bird forever?"

Talon shrugged. "Doesn't sound so bad, actually."

"Well, I suggest staying human for a few days; we have the blood moon coming up and need you awake for the whole day, ideally, especially if there's going to be another planned attack."

With a groan, Talon got up and headed over to the desk, taking a piece of paper and changing a few numbers. "Some latecomers, all with masks; overheard most of them seeking asylum and citizenship, but who knows if it is just a cover."

Lili frowned, looking at the numbers. "Yes, definitely another attack."

"And I recognised some faces, despite their attempts at disguise."

"Any sign of the ringleader?"

Talon shook their head. "Nope. No clear leader."

"Someone must be if they are always this organised. I want a report on all the new arrivals and their masks, what they could possibly be, and anyone acting suspicious."

"You got it." Talon saluted.

"Good work, rest up, Sergeant, you deserve it," said Lili, not looking up from scribbling more notes on preparations for the blood moon.

"I think you deserve it too, Captain." Talon headed back to the window. "Say hi to the missus for me."

Lili smiled slightly. "Will do."

Talon climbed onto the windowsill, and made another casual salute before donning their mask and transforming into a singular raven and flying off.

Roughly 19 Years Ago

Corinna Warren visited Princess Corinna regularly, the two bonding over the book series. Once Corinna had eventually finished reading all of it, she kept her promise and reenacted scenes with Princess Cori, 'acting' not 'playing' which the princess stressed constantly. They acted in the nearby forest, library, and royal gardens and got lost in the hedge maze until they were rescued by the gardener Ernest.

A couple of days a week, Corinna would go straight to the castle after school and complete her homework alongside the princess, who would work on her own assignments, aiding one another. Corinna commented that it was nice to have a quiet workspace as it was a constant loud din of voices at home with how large her household was.