i.

"i refuse to marry a strange man!"

"darling, please-"

"no! i refuse!" with that, the girl stormed out of the house. she was distraught, hot tears spilling from her eyes. was she really destined to marry a man she didn't know, who was likely several decades older than her? to be a housewife, raising children? releasing a sigh, the noblewoman took in her surroundings. she was outside the city of fontaine, on the beachside.

she stared up at the starry sky, watching as the tiny lights danced across the inky black blanket of the night. her sobs quieted and turned into sniffles as she stared upwards, unaware of the worried boy nearby.

"are you alright?" he asked softly, startling the girl, who stumbled forward into the sea. now soaked, she got to her feet and let out a shaky, startled laugh. the boy held a hand out to her, which she took.

"thank you," she mumbled. "and yes, i'm alright."

"you were crying," he pointed out, tilting his head slightly. she hummed, examining his features. he had ashy blonde hair and a teardrop shape on his right cheek. realizing she was staring, she flushed, turning away in embarrassment. he chuckled slightly at her reaction.

"thank you again, monsieur..."

"no worries, mademoiselle. may i ask what you were crying about?"

she sighed, running a hand through her hair. "i suppose it can't hurt...i'm to be married in forty-eight hours to a man i've yet to meet."

"hmm...that is indeed quite troublesome. have you any ways to avoid such a fate?"

she pauses in thought. surely if she had a "lover," her father would break off the engagement? brightening, the girl launches at the boy, embracing him tightly. "thank you!"

"i didn't do anything?" he questioned confusedly.
the girl grinned, releasing her hold on him.

"you gave me an idea, so thank you!" with that, she hurried back towards her house gleefully. it wouldn't hit her until later that she talked to the great magician, lyney.

the boy watched as she left, still confused. "huh-?"

•••

"father!" she cried out, startling the man who was organizing search parties. "i refuse the marriage!"

"darling, i've already talked to-"

"i have a lover."

the father froze, staring wide-eyed at his daughter. "a...lover? yet you remained silent? who is he?"

she hadn't thought this far...it was then that the realization dawned on her of just who she had been comforted by. shocked, she blurted out his name, "lyney."

"the magician?" her father tensed before releasing a sigh. "and how did you two meet?"

"w-well, i was taking petit chou for a walk, and she dragged me into the sea. lyney helped me out..."

her father grimaced and gave another reluctant sigh. "bring him here tomorrow for dinner."

"yes, father." with that, she turned to leave. panic begin to set in as she made for her room. not only had she accidentally involved another person, but she involved someone she didn't know except for in passing.

"archons, what have i done?" she muttered to herself as she sat on her bed. a small whine came from near her feet and she looked down, spotting petit chou, who was looking up at her in concern. the dog whined once more, pawing at her leg. "i'm alright, chou. just...stressed."

the poodle leapt up next to her, licking her face. giggling slightly, [name] gently pet her fur. "thank you."

petit chou yipped, wagging her tail excitedly. the dog jumped off the bed, trotting over to where her leash was hung. panting, she looked expectantly at her owner. the noblewoman hummed, standing and walking over to where her dog was.

"i suppose we can go for a walk...but it must be quick, alright? it is late." the dog began bouncing around, barking happily. she sighed, gently clipping the green leash to chou's collar. with that, girl and dog left the house.

she quietly examined the night sky as chou trotted ahead, sniffing flowers and biting at grass. it was only when the poodle barked excitedly that [name] turned her attention to where she was walking. she was back on the beach where she was an hour prior, and chou was excitedly pulling on her leash towards a sitting figure.

upon hearing footsteps, the boy looked up, his violet gaze piercing. she stops in her tracks as chou begins to sniff at the boy. said boy smiled at the dog before facing the noblewoman.

"mademoiselle, i assume your idea worked?"

awkwardly, she nodded, sitting on a small rock nearby. "that it did, monsieur, however, there is an issue..."

"and what would that be?"

"i may or may not have accidentally told my father we were lovers."

"...pardon?"

"ehe, erm..."

"you...told your father...that we are lovers? mademoiselle, i do not even know your name, yet we are lovers?"

"i apologize. your name came to mind at the moment. my father expects me to bring you to dinner tomorrow night. and my name is [name]." she released a sigh, watching as petit chou played in the water. "it would be nice if you could attend. i am desperate to be released from the arranged marriage."

lyney thought in silence for a moment. she examined his features for any hint, but it was carefully blank, leaving her to question if what she proposed was wrong. embarrassed, she hid her face in her knees.

"i'll do it on one condition," he stated suddenly, startling the girl. "i want to put on a show in the opera epiclese."

"the...epiclese? i can try my best."

"that's all i ask for."

a silence fell over them and [name] found herself watching the sky. noting how late it was, she called out to her dog. "chou, it's time to go home."

the poodle trotted over, tail wagging in excitement. she smiled down at the dog, giving chou a pet on the head. the dog yipped, giving [name] a lick to the leg.

"shall i walk you two home?" lyney questioned, having watched the entire interaction. "it's late."

"it would be much appreciated. thank you."

•••
imma be honest-im scared to publish this lmao. its definitely not something ive written before (the trope, i mean), so im not entirely sure how itll turn out but i hope y'all enjoy it!

this was edited by kya (cloudybun1 ) who is my sister <3 she's been very helpful when it comes to editing and i seriously appreciate them.