iv.

THIS IS WRITTEN BEFORE 4.1 ARCHON QUESTS
ARLECCHINO'S PERSONALITY IS UNKNOWN AT THIS POINT IN TIME SO SHE MAY SEEM OOC

lyney wasn't sure what it was about [name], but he found himself taking a liking to her. she was charming, despite her flaws, and the blond magician was desperate to find out why he felt so attracted towards her. perhaps it was the way she looked at the stars, or the way she stuck her tongue out when concentrating.

for all he knew, it could've been the fact that she boldly declared he was her lover. perhaps that was it...? whatever the case, he noticed he was beginning to miss her when she wasn't around. he frowned slightly as he cooked.

surely he wasn't falling in love with her? a sudden thud had him flinching, turning around to find the source. freminet was crouching, picking up his diving helmet. the freckled boy looked up as he felt eyes on him.

"sorry," he mumbled. lyney smiled, reaching over to ruffle his hair.

"it's alright. you startled me, is all." the boy nodded quietly, setting his diving helmet on the table. "can you get lynette? dinner is almost done."

freminet nodded and hurried off to get lynette. lyney sighed and turned back to what he was cooking. he fell back into his thoughts, still pondering on his feelings towards [name]. a tap on his shoulder brought him out, startling him.

"you're going to burn the food," lynette pointed out blandly. "you never space out when cooking. what's wrong?"

he sighed, wondering if he should tell her. "it's about my girlfriend."

lynette remained silent, staring at her brother expectantly. he sighed again, shaking his head. "no, never mind. you won't understand."

"tell me."

"it's...complicated."

"complicated how?"

"it's a fake relationship, okay? she needed to get out of an arranged marriage. i happened to be there and she told her father we were dating."

"...so then what's the issue?"

"i think i'm developing feelings for her." silence fell over the twins.

"what?"

"i think i'm developing feelings for [name]."

"...why?"

"she just—i dunno. i can't stop thinking about her, and i can't stop smiling. she makes me feel safe. lynette, i think i'm falling for her."

lynette remained silent, contemplating his words. "this could be an issue."

"i know, which is why i'm panicking. "father" wouldn't approve, especially since i'm her successor. i'm lost right now."

"do you enjoy spending time with her?"

"yes."

"do you feel refreshed around her?"

"...yes."

"and you feel like you're in love with her?"

he hesitated, opening his mouth before closing it and giving a small nod. lynette frowned.

"archons, lyney. i think you do have feelings for her. what're the conditions of the "relationship"?"

"there aren't any. she allows lingering touches to sell the story to her father."

"maybe try being subtle with your attraction? you should also talk to "father" about it before anything serious happens. she might approve if you ask before."

"right. thank you, lynette." he smiled before loudly calling for freminet. the youngest of the siblings poked his head into the kitchen.

"are you guys done talking...?"

"yes. let's eat, shall we?"

•••

it was several days later when arlecchino came to check on the siblings. lyney nervously stood in front of the tall woman, fiddling with his gloves.

"lyney," she started, "why are you so anxious? do you have something to report?"

"well, i-i kind of, um, have a girlfriend..." he mumbled quietly, looking down at his shoes. arlecchino stared for a moment, processing his words.

"a...girlfriend? do you realize how this could affect your missions?"

"yes, sir."

"then tell me why you have a girlfriend."

"she's not my actual girlfriend. she told her father i was her lover to get out of an arranged marriage. i agreed on the condition that she get lynette and me a spot in the opera epiclese. she's from a noble family, meaning she likely has government secrets. i decided to also use this to my advantage by spying," the lie flowed out of his mouth as smoothly as water, yet he couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt.

arlecchino was silent for a moment, thinking. she sighed before meeting his gaze. "very well. however, you must not let this "relationship" distract you from missions. and she must never learn of your position. am i understood?"

"yes, sir. thank you, sir."

"dismissed." lyney quickly hurried out of her office, sweat dripping down his forehead. as soon as he was out and the door was shut behind him, he breathed a sigh of relief. she had approved of his situation and he wasn't being punished for insubordination.

he gave a relieved chuckle before scurrying away from arlecchino's office. he hurried towards lynette, who was sipping a cup of tea, with a smile on his face.

"she approved," was all he said.

•••
shorter chapter! its short for a reason and totally not because i ran out of ideas.

im currently working on future chapters (cough chapters like 10–11 cough) but there will be more chapters released soon. i have very big plans for this book and i hope you guys will enjoy it!

also thank y'all so much for over 200 reads! i seriously appreciate it <3