xi.

POSSIBLE 4.1 ARCHON QUEST SPOILERS
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

[name] sighed to herself as she sat down at the café. quickly ordering a cup of tea, she waited patiently for it to arrive. as she waited, she caught sight of familiar ash blond tufts. in a panic, she hid her face in her hands. the screech of a chair had her peeking through her fingers. there sat lyney, resting his head on his crossed arms. he was looking at her expectantly.

"[name]," he started, "can we talk?"

she gingerly lowered her hands, leaving them to rest in her lap. a sigh escaped her and she pursed her lips. "about what?"

"about us."

"there's nothing to discuss."

"[name], listen. i know you hate the fatui, but i didn't hide it from you on purpose. it's something i keep low-key. i hate when people see me as a fatuus instead of lyney. that's why i hid it."

"that doesn't mean anything. you still lied."

"but i wasn't trying to."

she scoffed, glaring at him. "so you expect me to roll over like a dog and just accept the fact that you lied?"

"that's not what i'm saying. i'm asking you to forgive me because i didn't mean to hurt you intentionally. i have a mission coming up and i don't know how long i'll be gone. that's part of why i wanted to fix things."

she remained silent, as a waitress walked over and set a teacup down. the girl thanked the waitress before taking a sip of the tea. she sighed again, shaking her head slightly.

"i don't know what you want from me. what happens if i forgive you?"

"then we can be friends again and the deal will still be on." her heart ached at the word "friends" but she said nothing, staring down at her tea.

"i don't know, lyney. i'm still upset."

"i understand. just...think on it, okay?" he moved to stand, only for her to grab his wrist. he looked back at her in confusion.

"sorry," she muttered, releasing her hold. "i'm at a loss, okay? part of me wants to apologize and forgive you while another part of me wants to stay mad."

"you can be mad and forgive someone, you know," lyney pointed out. "you don't have to decide right now."

"well, yes, but-"

he held a finger to her lips, effectively silencing her. "think about it."

•••

so she did. the girl pondered over it. [name] sighed to herself as she fingered a page of the book she was reading. she had reread the same paragraph several times due to being lost in her thoughts. as much as she wanted to stay mad at lyney, a small part of her was begging for her to forgive him. she was at a loss.

"-me]...[name]." she blinked, looking up at her father who had a concerned look on his face. "you've been staring at that book without turning any pages. is something the matter?"

"father, i...i want to forgive lyney, but i'm not sure if i should."

"why?"

"why what?"

"why are you unsure?"

"because he lied. i'm upset that he lied, father, but..."

"but?" the man prompted, raising a brow.

she sighed. "i get this light feeling around him. like i feel lighter than air, and he makes me happy. but i'm upset with him. i'm at a loss, father, i really am."

"do you love him?" he asked. she stiffened, tensing her muscles as she thought about it. did she? the light-hearted feeling she got and the happiness she felt...

"i think i do."

"you can't stay mad at him forever. i suggest you go talk to him."

she nodded in determination. "i think i will. i'll be back, father."

she stood, rushing to the door and slipping a pair of shoes on. with that, she hurried out the house and towards where lyney usually performed. it didn't take long, and thankfully, she caught him just before a performance.

"lyney!" she called out. he turned his head, meeting her gaze.

"[name]?" he questioned curiously. she panted as she slowed to a stop in front of him.

"i'm sorry! i-i know you didn't mean to hide it from me on purpose. i was just being petty and stupid. i'm sorry." tears sprung to her eyes and she muffled a sob.

he smiled softly, pulling her into an embrace. "it's alright. you don't need to cry."

"but i was being a bitch!" he winced at her vulgar language but continued hugging her.

"it's okay, really."

"do you—do you mind if we continue, um, fake dating?"

he hummed in thought. "why not real dating?"

"wh-what?"

"do you?" he asked, tilting his head slightly.

"i wouldn't be opposed...but, um, you feel the same?"

"what do you mean? as in liking you romantically?"

"yes. i wasn't even aware of my own feelings until today..."

the ash blond smiled, patting her head. "i've liked you for a long time. remember when i bought you that bouquet of rainbow roses?"

"you've liked me since then? really?"

"before that, actually."

she sighed. "so are we-?"

"dating? if you want to."

a smile blossomed on her face and she gently pressed a kiss to his cheek. "i'm glad."

"i am too. are you gonna stay and watch the performance?"

"i think i will."

"okay. just a heads up—i'm gonna have to do something a bit illegal. it's part of my mission, so please don't intervene."

she nodded, frowning slightly as she broke the embrace. "it won't be anything serious will it?"

"of course not."

"i trust you."

•••

YO I AM ALIVE! I KNOW Y'ALL MISSED ME. I MISSED Y'ALL TOO.

i was postponing this chapter because i didn't like the way it was and i rewrite it like three times. regardless, thank you all so much for sticking with me!

also 3k views?? you guys are insane! thank you so much! i appreciate it, seriously.

please check my new book, ABLAZE, if you like demon slayer!