iii.

[name] was reading peacefully in her room, a pencil in hand as she scribbled notes occasionally. petit chou lay by her feet, snoozing peacefully. a phonograph was playing in the background, drowning out all noise. she hummed quietly alongside the music playing. it had been several days since the dinner, and she had been too focused on her studies to really leave to see lyney.

"[name]!" a loud shout startled her, causing her to smudge her writing. she cursed under her breath before sighing and erasing the mistake she made. she quickly fixed it before calling back.

"what?!"

"your boyfriend is here!"

she frowned. she wasn't expecting a visitor. pushing herself to her feet, [name] began to walk towards the doorway. petit chou whined as the girl left, standing to follow after her. the dog trailed behind her as she headed downstairs. there stood her father and lyney, talking.

anxiously, she made her way towards them. lyney looked towards her with a smile, and she returned it. her father sighed and walked off, figuring it would be something he didn't want to hear. petit chou followed behind him, trotting happily.

"good morning, ma chérie," he greeted. she hummed in response. "i'm taking you out today."

"out? where?" she questioned curiously, tilting her head.

"that's for me to know, and you to find out." he held out a hand for her to take, looking at her expectantly. she took it, smiling softly. "shall we?"

"we shall." with that, the two teens left. "so where are we going?"

"around the city of fontaine. i figured you'd be rather bored doing nothing but studying."

she raised a brow, incredulous. "and how do you know i was studying?"

"please, your father is strict, so i doubt you'd be doing anything else," he pointed out.

"you know me so well." lyney chuckled at her words before pulling her towards the café. "ooh, the café? i've been craving some crème brûlée..."

"is that so?" as they stepped into the seating area, he pulled out a chair for her to sit on. as soon as she was sat, he sat down in front of her. "what do you even study?"

"anything i can get my hands on, really. lately it's been astronomy and astrology."

"astrology?"

"mhm. for example..." she took his hand, gently tracing the lines on his palm as she concentrated. "your constellation is felis fuscus, which means black cat. it's given to those who have been rather unlucky in life. it also can stand for someone mysterious and alluring."

he stared in shock, amazed she was able to tell all that from one glance. "so you think i'm alluring?"

sputtering, she crossed her arms. "th-that's not what i said!"

"you said it could stand for someone mysterious and alluring." he smirked smugly, enjoying her embarrassed expression.

"okay, fine. i suppose i did say that, didn't i? say, what is the point of taking me out on a date? we're not actually dating."

"you have to convince your father somehow, don't you?"

"well, yeah, but-"

"shh. it's just to convince your father. expect more in the future. how's it going with getting me a spot in the opera epiclese?"

she sighed. "i haven't asked yet. i'm scared to. i know that as a noble family we have a lot of sway, but what if lady furina finds it offensive that we asked?"

"now, why would lady furina find it offensive?"

"i don't know, but it'll probably take awhile."

"that's fine. as long as you try." she hummed, quietly poking at her crème brûlée, which had arrived several minutes prior. as she put a small spoonful in her mouth, her eyes lit up. lyney smiled at her reaction before distracting himself with his own.

the two ate their dessert in silence, only to have it broken by a girl with long ashy-blonde hair sitting down. she had cat ears atop her head and a tail that sat neatly next to her. [name] blinked in confusion while lyney sweatdropped in a panic.

"who is this?" the girl spoke, glancing at lyney.

he sighed, averting his gaze. "my girlfriend."

the girl gave him an incredulous look before turning to the noblewoman. "and who are you?"

"[name], mademoiselle. apologies, but might you be the sister he's mentioned? lynette, was it?" at her nod, [name] smiled. "it's a pleasure to meet you."

lynette said nothing, remaining silent as she began eating her own dessert. lyney sighed.

"how many have you eaten?"

"...this is my fifth."

"lynette! you need to eat sweets in moderation. too much at once will make you sick."

"i'll enter exercise mode later..."

'exercise mode?' [name] wondered, furrowing her brows in confusion. noticing her confusion, lyney began to explain.

"she acts like a meka to avoid talking to people."

[name] hummed, finishing her dessert. she glanced at lyney's noting how his was only half finished. she stared longingly at his plate of crème brûlée. he glanced at her, and upon realizing she was staring at his dessert, pushed it towards her.

"here. i'm not a huge fan of sweets."

"thank you!" she dug in with gusto, enthusiastically eating. with bright eyes, she finished the rest of it, smiling. "ahh, i love crème brûlée."

"mm? why so?"

"it's the texture and the flavor. it's just so good." she glanced at the sky, noticing how late it had gotten. "oh, dear. it's late. my father will likely be expecting me home soon."

she pulled out her wallet, preparing to pay, only for lyney to use his own mora. "eh?"

"i brought you on this date, which means i'm the one paying."

"but-"

he brought a finger to her lips, shushing her. "shhh. now let's get you home, hm?"

•••

holy shit thanks so much for over a hundred reads! i wasn't expecting this book to get much attention, and i appreciate everyone who's read it. i love y'all! <3

also! i refer to them as "teens" because they're about 17–18 right now. lyney and lynette are probably 10 when they meet cesar, so i'm basing their ages on that. lyney and lynette are likely 20-ish during the archon quests.

knowing this, this book will be (hopefully) a lot longer than my past ones! do y'all prefer longer or shorter chapters? i'm averaging about 1.1k words per chapter, so let me know if you prefer longer or shorter!

that's all for now. love y'all! <3