𝖎𝖎𝖎. the union of wessex and mercia

WORSHIPPING HANDS,          FINANchapter three

chapter three. the union of wessex and mercia

          THE RETURN OF former Princess Elvina had resulted in many of the serving girls within the castle of Winchester to buzz with excitement and greet her with stories of what she had missed during her absence

THE RETURN OF former Princess Elvina had resulted in many of the serving girls within the castle of Winchester to buzz with excitement and greet her with stories of what she had missed during her absence. They had fretted over the Princess and cooed at her child once he had been brought out from the carriage he had been placed in along with his Father. Everyone had fallen in love with the babe, stroking his soft tufts of brown hair and pink cheeks as he giggled at the tingly sensation and amount of attention he was receiving. Cian would hide his face and giggle into his Mother's neck whenever another curious serving girl had approached and tickled his belly.

"HE IS JUST lovely, Elvina," a soft voice cooed as they tickled the baby boy with their forefinger, being gentle as they possibly could.

ELVINA HAD BEAMED a smile at her Aunt, hiking her son up higher on her hip as she stared down at him and nodded at Ælswith. "He is, isn't he?" She replied as she nuzzled her nose into the side of Cian's plump face.

          ÆLSWITH HAD BEEN on her way back from greeting the rest of the guests invited to Winchestercatching her Niece walking around with her son on her hip.  The woman had immediately cooed and awed at the child once she approached him and Elvina.

"WHAT IS HIS name?" Ælswith asked, eyes full of admiration as she stared at the nine month old baby. Elvina hadn't really written any letters to her family back in Winchester so many of them had been shocked to see and find out that the woman had a child. They were ecstatic of course, immediately gathering around the babe as they cooed and babbled to him.

"CIAN," THE BLONDE replied as her stomach began to tie into knots. She knew that it was a very Irish name to give a child born to two peoples of Wessex and was often given strange looks by those who asked. It was an odd thing to do.  Give a child a name that does not stem from their parents native origins.