Chapter Eleven: Homesickness

Today, some of the Selected and I decided to watch a scary movie in the theater called The Cabin in the Woods. Cecilia, Louise, Molly, Tina, and I sat in the chairs while Carol, Georgia, and Franny sat on the floor in front of us. There were three huge buckets of butter-soaked popcorn, bottles of drinks, and various candy spread out among us. It was the middle of the day, but oh well!

"Huh," I said once the credits started. "You would've thought that guys like Marty would die first." I stuffed popcorn into my mouth while Tina suggested,

"We should watch another movie."

"Yeah," Louise agreed. "I mean it was good, but it wasn't that scary."

"What should we watch, then?" Cecilia asked, getting up to switch on the lights. She also grabbed the remote to go to the selection gallery.

"I have some movies in my room I could go grab," I offered, pushing myself off of the chair.

"Go for it!" Franny exclaimed, moving her body so I wouldn't trip over her.

"Be right back!" I yelled over my shoulder.

----------------------------------------------------

As I jogged down the second floor, my silver sandals in hand, I heard some quiet cries coming from one of the rooms. I carefully approached the white door identical to mine that was slightly ajar. I knocked lightly.

"Hey, can I come in?" I asked gently.

"Sure," the mystery person mumbled. I swung open the door slowly.

"What's wrong?" Tossing my shoes next to the door, I headed towards Brazil's bed. She slumped against her headboard, and I copied her figure.

"I just have never been away from my family this long before," she explained as she took some of the Kleenex I handed her.

"It helps to know that time flies when you're having fun," I said after a minute. "So, how about you come watch a movie with me and some of the other girls? You can help me pick out something from my room if you like." I set my hand on her shoulder and gave her a small smile. She took a deep breath.

"I'll head down in a minute." She giggled. "I need to calm down. Fortunately I have on waterproof makeup!" I giggled along with her.

"See you in a minute, then!" I said over my shoulder as I grabbed my shoes and jogged towards my room. I also missed my family a lot, but I've been so busy lately that I only have some brief moments to be sad.

I walked over to one of my cabinets lined up against one of my walls and swung open one of them. Since the girls were probably waiting for me, I grabbed one of my favorite comedies: The Heat. As I opened it to make sure the DVD was in there, something fell out of the case. Curious, I picked it up.

Turns out it was a picture. A somewhat recent one, actually. I recognized me in it immediately, and the two other faces similar to mine. It was of me and two of my cousins, Sami and Amberly, in my backyard when I was about 14. I was on top of the 15-year-old Sami and 14-year-old Amberly, us in a kneeling pyramid formation. We were shaded by my tall oak tree on the right side of our yard. We all had on huge grins on our faces, which matched the clear blue sky. Judging by our tank tops, denim shorts, and bright green leaves and grass, it was summer. I smiled at the memory, soaking up all of the perfectness captured by the camera that day.

I felt a stab of homesickness in my heart as I set down the picture on my nightstand. Despite wanting to stay in my room and look at all of my photos, I forced my feet to move towards the theater with only my movie in hand.

'I hope this is all worth it,' I thought.

----------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry this is a shorter chapter than normal, especially when I updated about a week ago.

I've been kind of busy lately. I wrote on the weekend, but I had over one of my best friends. She was here from about Monday at noon to Tuesday evening. Then I had an orthodontist appointment yesterday and a dentist appointment today!!

Also during the next month and a half, I have to read two books for my AR English class. Thankfully we don't have to write anything, until an essay on the third day of class.

The good news is that I get my braces off on July 17th!! The bad news is that I'll be busy stuffing my face with food I haven't been able to have for two years. #sorrynotsorry

I'll try to update more, lovelies!! Thank you for being patient. ❤️ <3