Chapter 1 - Arsenal

July, 2018

Breaking News: Arsenal signs 13 year old young US youth international with a 6 year contract extending through 2024. 

Rhaina Van Haan is a young talent from the USA. Born to a Dutch mother and American father, Van Haan has spent her past 5 years in the United States living in North Carolina. Van Haan plays club with Triangle United, a MLS NEXT team in her area. Despite being the only girl on the team and significantly younger than the rest of her team and competitors alike the young striker was able to help her U17 team to a national title, scoring 14 goals alone in the MLS NEXT Cup.

It came as a shock to many who follow the WSL to see such a prestigious club such as Arsenal to sign someone so young. Yes she is very well known in the United States but this will be the first time this young player will be playing for a professional club. 

Will Rhaina Van Haan be able to handle all the pressure of a professional club? Will she crumble or thrive in this highly competitive environment? We look forward to covering her upcoming career. 

Beth Mead POV:

Seeing her for the first time really shocked me. Joe had told us two days before about a new very young signee but I hadn't expected her to be this young. I had expected maybe a 16 year old mayyybe 15 at youngest. But 13?!?!?! That was crazy. To be fair she was much taller than average 13 year olds and much much more muscular. She also had a certain maturity about her that no other 13 year olds I'd ever met had. But she still looked so young, innocent, and naive. We were in the middle of recovery when the girl, her father, Joe and a few other people from management came in. 

"Everyone, if I could get your attention for a moment please." Joe said to us. And those who had not been previously been paying attention looked up and stopped what they were doing. "I'd like to introduce everyone to our lates signee, Rhaina Van Haan!" There was slight awkward pause in which I suppose he expected us to clap or something. After nothing happened he went on, "Rhaina is 13 years old and is moving here from the United States." There were a few very surprised looks when is said she was 13, myself included.

"Blimey! 13?!" Katie exclaimed in surprise. 

Kim elbowed her in the ribs and whispered, "Don't be rude Katie."

"What?! I'm just saying what we're all thinking-" Katie retorted.

"I know that she is very young but I believe that she will be an excellent edition to our team, so I hope everyone will make her feel welcome." Joe finished. 

I glanced over at the young girl and saw a slight panicked look in her eyes. I could sympathize with her, I remember signing for Sunderland at only 16 and how overwhelming that had felt. Our eyes connected for a second and I tried to give her an reassuring smile and I could see the slight relief in her eyes. I knew this one was going to be special and that I would have to help her and protect her as best as I could.

Vivianne Miedema POV:

Having signed my first ever professional contract at just 14 I could only imagine what Rhaina was feeling. As she, her father and the other staff members walked out of the gym I looked around at the other girls. All of them were whispering amongst themselves. It had been a shock to all of us when Joe announced that she was only 13. 

"Wow, can't believe she's only 13!" Lisa whispered to me. "She looks to be so much older."

I nodded my head in agreement. Rhaina did look much older than 13. Based off of her height and build she looked to be at least 15 or 16. She was about 165 cm and was even more muscular and built than most of the girls in the room.

"I wonder what position she plays." Katie said out loud. 

"Striker I bet." Leah responded. "Why else would they bring in someone so young?" The others murmured in agreement.

"She must be one hell of a goalscorer than." Jorden said with laugh. There was a ripple of chuckles and everyone went back to what they had been previously been doing.

"She's going to be special." I told Lisa. I don't know how to describe it but I truly felt that this young girl would be going down in the history books.

"Well she better be." Lisa replied and we went back to doing our sets.

Later that day:

After some training as I finished up a few shooting drills with Sari, Joe called me over and asked me to stop by his office after I was done. I agreed and after Sari and I finished and I got all cleaned up I headed over to his office.

When I stepped into his office Joe was sitting behind his desk, finishing up a phone call so I sat in a chair opposite to him. 

When he finished is call he looked up at me and started, "Ah Viv, thank you for popping in here. As you know we have a new signee and she's still very young, and therefor cannot legally live alone." I looked at him questioningly. "Her father will be staying in the United States with his family, so I need someone who she can live with until she's at least 16." 

"Oh, so-" I started still a little confused on why he was telling me.

"Rhaina is half dutch and spent part of her childhood in Holland. And I thought that she may feel more comfortable living with someone who she may be able to relate with more." Joe continued. "I was wondering whether you would be comfortable to opening your house to her and letting her live with you for a few years until she gets older."

"Oh, well.." I really did not know what to say. I'm a very private person and usually don't even invite my friends over (even though Lisa always does) so I didn't know how to feel about a young girl I barely know come over, much less live with me. "I don't know Joe...Can't she live with the Dutchies?"

"Well, I thought of that too but they may be too much for her to handle." Joe replied with a little smile.

He was right. Jill, Sari, Dominique, and Daan all lived together hence the name the Dutchies. But they were quite a lot to handle. They were a lot to handle just at training so I couldn't imagine her living with them. "I still don't know Joe. I mean I would have to talk to Lisa and everything."

"Of course, I know this is a lot to ask for and all of a sudden so please discuss with Lisa." Joe said hurriedly. "Rhaina is traveling back to the United States for a week to get her things and move over here so you and Lisa still have time to discuss. Just please let me know what the two of you decide. I would be so grateful if the two of you could take her in but of course I respect your privacy. If you could let me know within the next 5 days it would be great." 

"Yea, I'll talk to Lisa then." I said and got up and left.

A/N: Hey guys! Hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter! I don't know how often I can upload new chapters but I'll try to do it once a week if not then once every other week. I'll upload the first few chapters and decide. Most of the games I write about probably never happened but I'm making them happen in this book :) 

-Quaxel