f i v e

(Song- Haunted by Taylor Swift)

The last few hours to the cabin were awkward, to say the least. Stiles kept pushing Lydia to explain what had happened back in that parking lot, but Lydia had closed the door on him; she wouldn't be vulnerable like that again.

"Lydia please, tell me what's wrong." Stiles pleaded, his eyes darting across her face while they were stuck in traffic. Lydia looked anywhere but at him.

"Nothing's wrong, Stiles. Don't worry about it." She said, her voice begging him to drop the subject.

"What happened, Lyds? We were so good and then-"

"Stiles, drive." She said.

"What?" He asked, confused.

"The traffic's gone. Just drive." She said and Stiles sighed and turned back towards the road. He wished he could fix whatever was bothering Lydia, and he wishe she would just tell him what it was.

~

They pulled into the driveway late in the afternoon. Scott and Allison came out to greet them; everyone else was out on the lake.

"How was it?" Scott asked Stiles while Lydia and Allison were inside putting bags away.

"Long, but it was fine. My feet hurt." Stiles said.

"That's not what I mean, Stiles. I mean, how was it with you and Lydia?" Scott explained.

"Things were great, I guess. For a while, I mean. And then one minute, they just weren't. I don't know what happened. She just shut me out when you called and said Malia was pissed about us being late." Stiles told his friend.

"Probably; that would make sense." Scott said, looking towards the cabin.

"What do you mean?" Stiles asked, and Scott shook his head.

"Nothing, buddy. Let's go get these bags in. I need help starting the grill." He patted Stiles's shoulder and walked inside, Stiles following slowly behind.

~

"Well, how was he?" Allison asked eagerly. Lydia sighed; she wasn't in the mood for girl talk, but she knew Allison wouldn't let it go if she didn't tell her.

"Amazing, Allison. But it didn't last, and now things are just going to go back to the way they were."

Allison frowned and sat down on the bed, pulling Lydia to sit next to her. "Who says things can't be different now? What's holding you back, Lyds?" She asked, squeezing Lydia's hands.

"So many things. Malia, for one thing."

Allison scoffed. "Oh, whatever. They broke up. And he's never loved her the way he loved you back then. I'm gonna need a better excuse."

Lydia took a deep breath. "I don't think he feels the same way he used to, Allie." She said, looking down. She stopped her tough girl facade and was totally honest. Life was just too complicated to not be completely honest. "I don't think he loves me anymore like he did back then. I missed my chance."

"Oh Lydia, I can guarantee he still feels the same he did four years ago, three years ago, two months ago, and yesterday. What you guys have doesn't just go away."

"I don't know, Allie." She said, anxiety lacing her already tired voice.

"Yes, you do. You know I'm right. I'm always right." She said, smiling. "Now I gotta go help Scott make dinner before he hurts himself. Come down whenever." She said and kissed the top of her best friend's head. "Love you, Lyds."

Lydia smiled, "Love you too, Allie."

~

Scott and Allison tried to keep the conversation going that night at dinner. Meanwhile, Malia was glaring daggers at Lydia, who refused to look at Stiles, who looked like a kicked puppy. Danny and Ethan tried to liven up the mood, but no one was feeling it. The tension could be felt by everyone in the room. Of course, Kira spoke the most, because she was the most uncomfortable with silence.

"So, Stiles, Lydia, wanted you two do while your Jeep was in the shop?"

Stiles looked confused. "In the shop?" But then he remembered the lie he told Scott when he called last night. "Oh, right. Well we uh, stayed at a motel the first night, and then we just uh, hung out while the car was.. being worked on." He glanced up at Lydia, who was playing with her food, obviously not hungry.

"Oh, you guys stayed at a motel?" Kira asked.

"Yeah, it was-" Stiles started but Malia cut him off.

"Stiles, can I talk to you?" She asked, standing up.

"Um, yeah. Sure." He said, trying to get Lydia to look at him one last time before they turned to go to another room. But she wouldn't. They heard Malia slam a door shut and Lydia jumped. Everyone just sat there, eyes wide. Isaac coughed. Finally, Lydia stood.

"I'm sorry guys, I need to get some air." And she quickly walked out. Scott looked at Allison and they both hurried to follow her.

"Lydia! Wait up!" Scott said as they got outside to the edge of the grass, by the water.

"I just need a minute guys. It's fine." Lydia said, trying to shoo them away. Tears were threatening to spill from her eyes and she hated for anyone to see her cry. No one needed to see her weak, she thought.

"I think you need to tell him." Scott said.

"Tell him what, Scott?" Lydia whispered.

"That you love him." Allison finished. Lydia felt her heart clench and she swallowed. Did she love Stiles? Of course. But would she she tell him?

Scott nodded his head. "I know you don't think so, but telling him is the best thing for you. He needs to know."

"I know." She said.

~

"Stiles, would you care to explain to me EXACTLY what went on between you and Lydia?" Malia growled as she slammed the door shut. Stiles rolled his eyes.

"No, I won't explain anything to you, because you're not my girlfriend. It's none of your business anymore. So bug off." He said, walking towards the door. This conversation was stupid, he needed to talk to Lydia.

"Do you love her?" Malia asked finally as he opened the door. Stiles stopped, but he didn't need to think about his answer.

"Yeah, I do."