f o u r

(Song- A Drop In The Ocean)

Getting out of bed the next morning was difficult. Lydia woke to the smell of Stiles on her pillow and the sound of him yelling her name. She groaned and pulled the covers over her head. Not today, Satan, she thought to herself.

"Lydia, wake up! Let's go, get up!" Stiles said, full of energy. He must have gotten some coffee. She squeezed her eyes shut. Maybe if she ignored him he'd go away. Bad idea. Suddenly, the bed was shaking and Lydia realized he had jumped up onto the edge of the bed and was jumping on the mattress. Lydia reached for a pillow to throw at him, but just then his weight hit the box springs and flew her off the bed and onto the floor.

"Ow." She growled. Stiles lost it; he was on the floor, laughing harder than Lydia had ever seen. She covered her mouth and tried not to giggle. Tears streamed down his cheeks as he tried to speak.

"Did you see- oh my- Lydia- your face- and you just- 'Ow'." He couldn't form a clear sentence. Lydia got up, hovering above him, and kicked him in the side.

"I know, hilarious. Well, I'm up now. So let's go." She said, and turned to pack up her things. Stiles wiped away his tears, trying to catch his breath before they were on the road again.

~

It was two in the afternoon when Lydia saw a sign for an incoming shopping center. Her legs were hurting and she had to pee.

"Stiles, get off on the next exit! Please!"

Stiles looked flustered. "What, why?"

"Because there's a shopping center coming up! And I really really need to pee." She said, ready to beg. Stiles smiled.

"Fine. I forgot a razor anyways. I'll get one there."

~

After about an hour of getting groceries and junk for the cabin, Lydia walked by a tux shop. She stood in front of it, wide eyed.

"Stiles..." She whispered, staring at the entrance like they were the pearly gates of heaven.

"Yes, Lydia?" He answered, not stopping to look up because he was unwrapping a Reese's peanut butter cup. When he saw where they had stopped, he swallowed.

"No. Nope." He said firmly, and turned to walk away. Lydia grabbed his arm and pulled him back violently.

"When was the last time you wore a suit?" She asked, a smile growing on her face.

~

"Lydia, this is stupid. Can I take it off?" Stiles asked from behind the dressing room door, sounding exasperated.

"No! Come out and let's see it!" She ordered. He slowly opened the door and stepped out in front of her. Stiles pulled on the sleeves and rubbed the back of his neck. Lydia clapped; his uncomfortability entertained her.

"Come on Lyds. I haven't worn a suit since 10th grade formal." He said.

Lydia frowned. "I never got to go to that. Was it fun?"

Stiles smirked. "Oh, no. I didn't have a date so I just sat there awkwardly the whole time."

Lydia laughed. "I wish I could've gone." She trailed off for a moment, and Stiles wouldve given anything to know what she was thinking right then. But she caught herself soon after.

"Alright, you can take it off. That was fun."

"Thank God." He gasped and ran back to the dressing room. He stopped as he closed the door. Lydia never got a formal. Then he got an idea and bolted back out to where she was sitting, stumbling on his own feet. He stopped to catch his breath, then held out a hand to her.

"Lydia Elizabeth martin, would you do me the honor of accompanying me to this year's formal?"

Lydia looked at him, confused. "Stiles, we graduated. No more formals. How-"

"Just go with it. I won't take no for an answer. So for rent a pretty dress and meet me back at the Jeep in an hour."

Lydia sighed but she did as he said, wondering what crazy plan Stiles Stilinski had for her.

~

Lydia stood in a cheap dress she had rented next to the Jeep, just as Stiles had said. Then she saw him walking towards her. He wore the suit that she had picked for him to try on earlier and had a flower in his hand. He handed it to her gracefully, well, gracefully for Stiles.

"Welcome to your first formal, Lydia." He opened the car door and turned on the stereo, playing A Drop In The Ocean.

"May I have this dance?" He asked, grinning. She blushed and held out a hand.

"Of course."

He wrapped one arm around her waist and held her hand in the other. They slow danced right there. In the empty parking lot at 7 pm, to the music of his car stereo. Lydia leaned her head on his chest and listened to the steady beat of his heart. He kissed the top of her head and the two of them were lost in each other. Lydia hadn't felt this happy in a while. She turned and looked up at him. He looked down at her, his eyes flickering to her lips and then back at her. She felt drawn to him like a magnet, and he seemed to feel the same. The way he was looking at her made Lydia's stomach do flip flops. She wanted to kiss him, right then. Nothing else seemed to matter. He closed his eyes, leaned forward and- his phone rang. He cursed under his breath and pulled it out. Scott. He answered, backing away from Lydia and suddenly she realized how cold it was outside.

"Scott, this better be good." Stiles growled.

"Where the hell are you? You guys should've gotten in by now." Scott said and Stiles sighed.

"Uh, we had some car trouble." He lied. "We'll be there tomorrow. Sorry, Scott." He apologized, but didn't sound like he meant it.

"Alright, just hurry up. Malia's pissed; she thinks you and Lydia-"

"Wait, hold up, Malia? Why does she care?" Stiles asked, becoming angry. Lydia stopped listening. Suddenly, she felt very stupid. What was she thinking? That the outside world and their lives just didn't exist? She shook her head; this was a mistake.

"Yeah, alright. See ya soon." Stiles finished and then turned to Lydia. "Sorry, that was Scott. He-

"We should probably get going." She interrupted.

"Wait, why?" He asked, looking hurt.

"We've wasted too much time. We need to get on the road. You've got people waiting for you." She said, opening the trunk to grab a change of clothes.

"People waiting for me? Wait, is this about Malia?" He asked, "Oh God, Lydia, no it's not like that."

Lydia shook her head. "It doesn't matter. We were stupid for ignoring the world around us. We need to go." Stiles opened his mouth but she gave him a look that meant the conversation was over. Lydia turned and walked off and Stiles closed his mouth. He turned and leaned against the hood of his Jeep. Damn it. She just shut him out again. He blew it. Stiles slammed a hand on the hood.

"Damn it!"