e i g h t

(Song- Mess Is Mine by Vance Joy)

It was one of the hottest days since they got to the cabin. Staying inside seemed like the logical idea, but it was Scott'sidea to go swimming. Of course, Stiles was the first one in the water, screaming and hollering as he ran off the dock and splashed into the lake. Lydia sat in a lawn hair and couldn't help but smile as she watched. Allison was the next person in, followed immediately by Isaac and then Scott, until finally everyone was treading water and laughing as they splashed Stiles repeatedly. He noticed that Lydia wasn't in the water and felt a surge of disappointment.

"Lydia! Get in the water!" Stiles yelled as Scott tried to dunk him in. He sputtered out water and smacked Scott in the back of the head, but kept his gaze on her. She shook her head; she didn't even have her suit on.

"Oh my god, Lydia! Get in the damn water!" Stiles said, pointing to the water and then realizing how mean he sounded. "I'm sorry, that was mean. Please get in the water, Lyds."

She walked onto the dock, hesitating as she stood there for a minute, debating what to do. Stiles swam closer and splashed her. Lydia's face got very serious as she wiped water from her face.

"Oh it's on, Stilinski!" She said, and jumped in, fully clothed. His eyes widened and he screamed, trying to swim away. Lydia was about to swim after him when she saw Malia grab onto Stiles and piggy-back him. Lydia felt jealousy creep up on her as they laughed and fought with Scott and Allison. She sunk under water for a second, not wanting anyone to see her so red in the face. Stiles was just her friend, right? Stop, her head told her firmly. But her heart decided to question her thinking process. She sawn back to the shore and walked out, hoping to clear her head.

Stiles noticed Lydia leave and pushed Malia off him. She was the only one he wanted here with him. She as the one he wanted next to him when he was happy, when all his dreams came true, he realized. Every plan he had for the future somehow subconsciously included Lydia in them. He scowled and decided enough was enough. So be it if she didn't feel the same, he was still going to tell her, remind her. Whatever it took. Stiles swam quickly to the shore and Scott noticed.

"Hey man, where are you going?"

Stiles didn't turn around but yelled over his shoulder as he ran inside the house.

"I gotta go tell Lydia... I love her!" Allison gasped when she heard what he had said. So did Malia.

"Finally," Kira murmured and Danny grinned as he hit Ethan.

"You owe me 10 bucks, sucker."

Scott just smiled. "That's my boy." He whispered.

~

Stiles opened the back door, frantically searching for Lydia.

"Lydia? Where are you?" There was no answer. He searched the house and couldn't find her. Where was she? He was dripping wet on the hardwood floor as he ran up the stairs to check the bedrooms. Then he looked out the window and saw her. She was in the front yard, sitting on the hood of his blue Jeep. His heart sped up as he ran down the stairs and out the front door.

Lydia was sitting on the hood of Stiles's Jeep, dripping wet still in her clothes. She didn't know why she had come out to his car. Maybe it was because it had experienced every memory with her and Stiles too. Maybe it was because the last time she was near this blue Jeep, she had almost kissed him. Almost.

The front door opened loudly and Stiles ran through.

"Lydia, I need to tell you something." He said and hopped off the porch to walk towards her. She jumped off the hood and stood there.

"No, let me speak first Stiles. I lied to you. I said I wanted to be friends but-"

"Lydia-" he said, his brown eyes desparately searching her green ones.

"No, don't interrupt me. I don't wanna be friends with you. I never have, okay? I literally can't think straight when I'm with you and every time you open your mouth I either wanna strangle you or kiss you! I know I'm too late, but Stiles- I love you. I love you Stiles Stilinski and I don't want to see you with anyone-"

But she never got to finish her statement. Stiles ran towards her, grabbing her face and kissed her until the words didn't seem to matter anymore. She gasped in surprise but soon closed her eyes and let him kiss her. She ran her hands through his hair as he pushed her against the side of the Jeep. God, he was a good kisser. If feeling sparks was clichè, Lydia felt like the most basic romance story ever told. But she didn't care. Stiles lit a fire in her that was too hard to put out, so she let it burn. And he did too. One of his hands moved to her waist and the other against the window of the car while he pulled her closer to him. Finally, they pulled away, foreheads touching and breathing heavily.

"I told you not to interrupt me." Lydia said, breathless and grinning. Stiles laughed, which sent a chill down her spine.

"I love you, Lydia Martin." He whispered against her lips.

"I know." She said, and reached up to kiss him again.

~

They spent the rest of the day locked at the hip. Neither of them stopped grinning like the Cheshire cat. Everyone else couldn't take their eyes off the two of them. Allison and Scott looked like proud parents. Malia glared at them for a while, but quickly got over it and began flirting with Isaac. After all, she always knew she could never compete with what Lydia and Stiles had. They seemed to be lost in their own world, and they disappeared quite a bit more after it got dark out. No one objected.