Revised Plans

Life can pivot in a matter of seconds. Meerub had always understood this concept, but now, at this moment, she was grappling with its profound truth. Her father, her rock, her closest confidant, had made a decision that made her feel as though her opinions, her dreams, her aspirations held no weight. The weight of realization hit her hard – maybe Haya was right. Maybe she had been living in a naive illusion, thinking she was free, independent, with the power to shape her destiny. Those notions felt like distant echoes now, a life where she had wanted to be a lawyer, working alongside her father, perhaps falling in love someday, building a life full of happiness. And now, all of this was crashing down, and it was all because of one name – MURTASIM SHAHNAWAZ KHAN. A name she loathed with every fiber of her being, a name that was now synonymous with her troubles. She despised it so intensely that if she were granted just one murder, she might even forgive the darkest figures in the world to plunge the sharpest blade into his heart and watch him bleed out. Such was the extent of her hatred in that moment.

"Meerub, get a grip!" she scolded herself internally, snapping out of her violent thoughts. Observing him going about his routine, having breakfast, giving instructions to his staff, maintaining his guns – HIS GUN – sent her mind spiraling into chaos. It had been two days since the turmoil had unfolded. She had confronted her father, who pleaded with her to trust him and listen to him. Seeing her father so frail and unsteady, Meerub, although determined to reject the marriage, chose not to argue further and decided to devise a plan. Her mission was clear – make Murtasim himself refuse the marriage proposal. It was crystal clear that he loathed her, and it was equally obvious that Haya would go to any lengths to marry him, even if it meant eliminating her competition – Meerub. So, the way Meerub saw it, she had to convince Maa Begum that Haya was a better match for Murtasim, bring the two cunning souls together in matrimony, and then escape from this place. This strategy seemed simple as Meerub mulled it over during breakfast.

But the mastermind behind the whole game, Maa Begum, was not one to be underestimated. She observed Meerub discreetly, noting her fleeting glances between Haya and Murtasim. Maa Begum could see through the veil of Meerub's plan as though it were transparent. She had calculated every move, every detail. If only that day Waqas hadn't overheard everything. Yet, that situation had presented an opportunity. Maa Begum had cleverly used it to blackmail him, ensuring that his daughter would have a protector once he was gone, and who better than her own son? All while reminding him of the promise he had made to her late husband. Everything was unfolding according to her design, but her darling son was not yielding. Even after relentless arguments, he remained resolute in his stance. His stubbornness was a force unto itself, perhaps too stubborn for his own good.

Maa Begum entering murtasim's room - "Property ke kagzaat, jo tumhare baba aur chachu ne Meerub ke naam kar rakhi hai!"

Murtasim - "Toh yeh naya tareeka nikala hai apne?"

Maa Begum - "Iss sab se hume bhut munafa aata hai Murtasim, aur in zameeno ke haqdar tum ho."

Murtasim - "Meri apni bhi kam nhi hai maa! Aur main kisi zameen ke tukde ke liye shadi karlunga? Kya soch rhi hai aap!!" shaking his head in disappointment

Maa Begum - "Murtasim, main tumhe zameen ke liye nhi Meerub ke liye shadi karne ko bol rhi hu. Tum jante ho Waqas ki halat nazuk hai! Kon sambhalege uske baad Meerub ko! Anila se toh abhi nhi sambhalti! Aur Waqas bhi chinta ke bina aram se muqt ho jaega... Meerub hi toh uski ek lauti zimedari hai! Aur fir tumhare baba---"

Murtasim, cutting her off - "Hnn yaad hai maa sahab!! Baba ka wada!!! Par jab khud nhi chahti toh main zabardasti todhi karunga!!!! Main ek baar ko hnn bol bhi du, Meerub kabhi nhi manegi maa!!"

Maa Begum, internally smiling, thinking she had him where she wanted - "Tum bus naa bhi nhi bolna!!! Baki Waqas dekh lega. Tum apna farz nibhao. Meerub ki haan ya na, voh sab dekh lenge baad main."

Murtasim, tired of listening to the same record again and again, finally gave up and said - "Agar Meerub maan jaegi toh main nikah ke liye tayyar hu, PAR agar Meerub nhi mani toh aap usse jane dengi aur bilkul zabardasti nhi krengi!!! Waqas uncle ke jane ke baad jo hoga tabh dekh liya jaega!! Ab aap aur kisi ko force nhi krengi."

Murtasim, on his way out, saw Meerub standing near his car. It had been 2 days since they spoke after that tumultuous night. The imprints of her hand on his memory still sent a surge of anger through him. Suppressing it and ignoring her presence, as he had been doing for the past 2 days, he was about to get into his car when she spoke.

"Ab kya zindagi bhar baat nahi karoge!!" Meerub's words almost stunned him at her audacity.

He replied, his irritation evident, "Mujhe laga mujh jaise 'begairat' logon se tum baat nahi karti."

Meerub rolled her eyes in response, "Kuch zyada hi hogaya uss din, mujhe laga tumne hi kiya hoga sab."

Murtasim, annoyed and cutting her off sharply, retorted, "Problem yahi hai Meerub, tumhe lagta hai duniya mein saare bure kaam Murtasim Khan ne hi kiye honge!"

Despite understanding his accusation, Meerub maintained her attitude, "Hann, toh thik hai, ek kaam bura na karke konsa bada kuch kardiya tumne!"

Murtasim, tired of the direction the conversation was heading, decided to ignore her and started the car's ignition. But sensing an opportunity slipping away, Meerub slipped into the passenger seat.

Annoyed at her theatrics, Murtasim questioned, "What!! Meerub, ab fir se ek chata maarne ka mann kar raha hai kya? Maan nahi bhara abhi tak?"

Meerub, feeling a bit guilty about her actions, replied sincerely, "Murtasim, uss din jo hua, mujhe laga shayad tum... Main bahut gusse mein thi... Mera intention nahi tha!"

Murtasim could feel a hesitant apology in her words, hiding somewhere there. Deciding to tease her a bit more, he playfully replied, "Bus yaar, Meerub!! Tumhari jaan bhi bachao gundo se, tumhari baatein bhi suno, aur fir tum mujhe aise treat karo. Punching bag hoon tumhara!! Jab aati ho 2-4 ya toh baaton ke taane, ya ab toh chaate maarke chali jaati ho."

Feeling a bit ashamed, Meerub understood that even though she believed most of her problems were because of him, he hardly did anything this time. Feeling miserable, she asked Murtasim how she could make him feel better. After all, she needed him in a good mood to suggest the idea of marrying Haya.

Murtasim almost beamed and laughed at her innocence, "Pakka!! Karogi? Jo bolunga!!"

Meerub, almost immediately, responded, "Hann, shadi ke alawa kuch bhi."

Murtasim couldn't understand why this made him feel a bit hurt. He believed that marrying her wasn't his wish either yet hearing her reject him every time stung just a bit. Pushing aside that ominous feeling, he engaged back in the conversation, locked the car door, and drove off with her.