If You Had Life Eternal

I did promise Sylok phantdew cuddles in this chapter, so I GUESS you guys can have a small break. I GUESS. Also if you wanna skip past the angst and just get to the fluff it starts on paragraph 40 (includes the single lines).

When Phantom woke up, he was alone.

He bolted upright, his breathing panicked and his arms shooting out around him in the dark. The dark? How long was he asleep? Shit, he'd fallen asleep? How long had he been gone? Would the ghouls send anyone looking for them?

The questions pounded at his skull until they all blended into one, overarching statement.

You deserve this.

If he hadn't been summoned none of this would be happening. If he hadn't opened up about his past with Rain, none of this would be happening. If he hadn't somehow convinced Sodo that he was worth saving, they never would have fallen for Void's trap. Now they would disappear, and the rest of the ghouls would be left wondering what happened to them.

What happened to Sodo, Phantom mentally corrected himself. He was only giving himself a false sense of belonging if he thought they would care about his wherabouts.

Why in the seven rings had Sodo even tried to find him? And why the fuck had he traded his freedom for Phantom's life?

And, Phantom tried to push down the doubt growing in his gut. They're brothers. They planned this whole thing, Sodo doesn't care about you, he's just helping Void get back at you for abandoning him.

"No!" Phantom bolted upright when he heard Sodo's voice outside the door, followed by a thumping sound and Void's voice whispering something that Phantom couldn't distinguish.

Phantom scrambled backwards into the darkest part of the room in an attempt to hide himself when the door flew open, revealing Void and. . . Sathanas what had happened to Dew?

There was no swath of skin that was left unmarked, either red marks left by talons, or bruises and blood. He stumbled forward and Phantom saw that his arm was bent in an unnatural way, and his eyes were nearly swollen shut.

Phantom rose and helped him sit with shaking hands, trying and failing to connect to his element to help relieve the pain, make the swelling go down, anything.

"You better get your powers back before his condition gets worse, Starlight. We wouldn't want anything to happen to him," Void grinned evilly, letting his parting words echo in the air before slamming the door shut.

"Dew," Phantom traced the outline of the bruises with a feather light touch. "I'm so sorry."

Sodo groaned and leaned into Phantom's touch. "A-Aether? Is that you?"

"No, Dew, it's Phantom," he reached deep inside himself to try and access that pool of electric quintessence that usually came so readily to his fingertips, but it was just an empty void.

Maybe. . .

"Phantom?" Dew grabbed onto his arm, gripping weakly. "Don't leave this time. I need you."

"I won't, Dewdrop, I promise," Phantom ran his hands up and down Sodo's arms comfortingly. "I'm going to try something, okay? It'll hurt, but only for a second."

"Please," Sodo choked out. "Do whatever you have to do, I can take it."

Phantom closed his eyes to help himself concentrate, and mentally connected himself to Dew. He ignored his gasp of pain and surprise, and continued weaving the figurative thread between them.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and a voice in his ear whispering encouragement, the stranger connected their power with his meager abilities, and with both of them, Phantom managed to surge across the bridge and land somewhere in Dew's memories.