02 → Who Is Tim Kono?

—▲▼—
'Who Is Tim Kono?'
—▲▼—

"Oh! How did you both get here?" Charles asked in surprise and he saw Mabel and Callum in Oliver's flat.

"It was open."

"I don't lock my doors," Oliver announced while he walked out of his walk-in wardrobe. "Never have."

"That's insane," Charles commented.

"Neighbourly," Oliver proposed.

"I mean, a murderer probably lives in the building, but I guess old white guys are only afraid of colon cancer and societal change," Mabel commented and Callum snorted a laugh.

"Neighbourly until someone shoots you in the face," Callum added. "You have a very shootable face."

Charles followed Mabel into the living space. "A murderer doesn't probably live in the building. A murderer definitely lives in the building!" Charles stated, now with Callum and Oliver following him. "Lester checked all the security footage, and no one unknown to him came in or out during the hours around Tim's murder."

"Great detective work Brazzos," Callum said before passing him to sit on one of Oliver's sofas. Charles was unsure if Callum meant it as a compliment or a sarcastic comment.

"Isn't that great? For the podcast?" Oliver asked, no one answered him.

"So, Mabel, tell us," Charles was now directly focused on Mabel, his arms crossed. "Did you learn anything from the online world of Tim Kono?"

"He didn't post much in his online world," she began, repeating 'online world' the same way Charles had said it. "He seems to have had a really sad, quiet life."

"You checked all the websites?"

"Yep. All the websites," Mabel replied, receiving an amused look from Callum.

"Very impressive," he said, a smile still on his face.

"Well, we've exhausted the internet," Charles accepted Mabel's answer. "Oh! Before I forget, we should keep all our evidence in one place, so I should probably hang onto that engagement ring."

"Why do you get to hang onto it?" Mabel asked, slightly irritated. "Don't you trust me, Brazzos?"

Callum could tell Mabel was mad at Charles for something but he decided not to announce this fact as realistically it might worsen things.

"Just because you're the oldest means you're the boss?" Callum questioned.

"It's our biggest clue. We lose that, we've got nothing."

"So-"

Mabel cut off Callum. "It's at my apartment. I'll give it to you later," she replied, giving up.

"Okay, guys, I-I need you three to hear me," Oliver spoke. "Our podcast is never going to pop until we know who is Tim Kono."

"Who was Tim Kono," Mabel corrected.

"Yeah, well, I've already named the episode 'Who Is Tim Kono', so it's..."

"Wait a minute! When did we even finish episode one?" Charles asked as Oliver walked away.

"Dude, it's called a work in progress! Look, every great episode two always makes you care deeply for the victim," he replied, pouring himself a drink.

Always the pattern, Callum thought to himself. Victim then suspects in the order of probability. He was suspect number two back at home which disgusted him.

"Ah, that's true. I've fallen in love with so many dead people," Charles stated to the younger of the group.

"Maybe rephrase that next time?" Callum suggested at Charles' wording.