Chapter 8

Mossador killed the Harpy.

"Why?" said Daenerys angrily as he was brought in by Unsullied guards. Ser Barristan and Saera stood on opposite sides of her, guarding her as she glared down at Mossador, who didn't seem to feel any remorse; why would he? As he said, it was the custom of Meereen to call for blood.

"A she, Mhysa," said Mossador calmly. "Evlī shka ye yazdhang mrúlilash, e we wandhosh yelish eshpa filma. A chetang ye sherwa, she yela chet." (T: For you, Mhysa. You wanted the Harpy dead, but your hands were tied. I set you free, as you did all of us.)

Daenerys replied in disbelief, "Ilva ozguroty iles, iderenni jumbare. Drive mijeta." (T: He was a prisoner, awaiting trial. You had no right.)

"Mel prijashish a och nyesk oreshish fuzdhal khroj shing we che." (T: He would rather rip your city apart than see slaves lifted from the dirt.)

"Buzdari hezir ilusy daor. Aeksia hezir ilusy daor." (T: There are no more slaves. There are no more Masters. )

He didn't seem to believe this. "She shpal shemash pa khamvaj? Shpal nyiwesh pa prokh ej shil she shenash wa aj? Eshka fej majidhash wa yel, nyghel khurong nya azanj a ye mel. Odhavang shil ewe nyej es nya kiv eshka qweang ye ashke shka chetash ye fiwa trej yosh ye. Nya kiv mrultash eshka ozwilíwilesh. Ro rushij pa Trej eshpa Yazdhang yel tujeva wa pa filma, khiotash thol." (T: Then who lives in the pyramids? Who wears gold masks and murders your children? When Grey Worm came to us, I was the first to take up the knife for you. I remember the look on my father's face as I struck down his Master, who had traded his infant son for a dog. My father died in the fighting. If we allow the Sons of the Harpy to return us to chains, he never lived.)

Daenerys trembled, "Gurogon Jazdano glaeson aohon istos daor. Sirgo, Aeksia vettrir ilis–" (T: The Harpy's life was not yours to take. Once, the Masters were the law—)

He interrupted, "She shil ol shka ye fetril." (T: And now you are the law.)

"Vettrir vettrir issa. Gūrogon zirȳla." (T: The law is the law. Take him.)

Two Dothraki grabbed him, dragging him away. The Unsullied led the way through the crowds crying for 'Mhysa,' to the same platform where she'd ordered the crucifixions.

"Daenerys," warned Saera. "If we were going to employ a system of a fair trial for a Son of the Harpy, we ought to do the same here, show that death is not just given for everyone who does something wrong. They both deserved the right to explain themselves."

She'd already made up her mind.

"She should have cut off the traitor's head in the Great Pyramid and been done with it," said Hizdahr nervously to Daario and Saera as Daenerys motioned for the Unsullied to prepare for an execution.

"Which is what I keep telling her to do to you," quipped Daario.

"This cannot end well," whispered Saera nervously, the crowd not knowing what was about to happen.

"Kivyso daervi drivi emiluks vestretan," Daenerys announced to the crowd, "separ jevi remia ynot drañedat. Jahe idañe mijerior tolion sagon kostos daor." (T: You opened your gates to me because I promised you freedom and justice. One cannot exist without the other.)

As Mossador was pushed to his knees in front of Daenerys, the Meereenese cried out, "Somvash! Somvash!" (T: Brother! Brother!)

"Mhysa, kotlo!" begged Mossador, regretful. "Ing yeliré!" (T: Mhysa, please! Forgive me!)