Chapter 12

And then, she came back.

Saera had finished her audience for the day early, the amount of concerned Meereenese decreasing steadily as their changes continued to be implemented. She had intended to go out for a ride on Viserion when she noticed he was agitated, circling the Great Pyramid as if he expected something to happen.

"Skoros iksis ziry, byka mēre?" she called up, furrowing her eyebrows as she leaned over the edge of the highest balcony. Was he alerting her to some sort of disturbance? Did he sense something was about to happen? (T: What is it, little one?)

Viserion let out a grunt, chirping and refusing to land. He kept tilting his head to the north, and at first Saera saw nothing. Then, when she squinted, she could perceive a dot in the clouds, steadily growing larger. It grew in size until a shape became apparent: a massive black figure approaching— a Winged Shadow.

Drogon was approaching at full speed. Rhaegal and Viserion were waiting eagerly, trilling in excitement as they sensed their brother and mother drawing near.

"Alert Missandei, Grey Worm, and Lord Tyrion!" she told Black Fist from his post behind her. "Have the city their Queen has returned."

As the people below began to shout and point at Drogon, Saera whistled for Viserion to land beside her. He didn't want to, but he listened. Rhaegal continued to fly overhead, calling out to Drogon and encouraging him to drop down beside them. He was just a little bigger than the other two, the advantage of never being locked in the catacombs. And on his back was a perfectly unharmed Daenerys.

The Winged Shadow landed at the edge of the balcony, roaring in Saera's face and demanding she step aside before he shrugged his shoulders to let Daenerys slide off.

There was a moment when the two sisters just stared at each other, unsure what to do. Saera thought Daenerys might not be alive anymore and Daenerys knew what she could expect to find when Daario and Jorah arrived without Saera.

She would have blown a fuse if she showed up on foot and found Saera sitting on the throne. Instead, she saw her sister in her usual armor, looking just as she'd left her.

"You're alive," said Saera in disbelief, approaching slowly. When Daenerys did not recoil, Saera reached out and held her shoulders, then her face, examining her for injuries. She smelled of dragon and was unharmed. "You're alright."

Daenerys nodded, an odd flutter of relief in her stomach. Despite everything, she felt safe with Saera's presence. She was glad to return and find her sister was still there, waiting for her. "I am."

Saera felt a weight lifted off her shoulders. Her sister wasn't dead. She hadn't lost her again. She hadn't failed to protect her. She could finally hand the reins back and have her time with Jorah.

"But– how?!" asked Saera. "It's been months. Where are Daario and Jorah?"

"Daario is leading my Khalasar here," said Daenerys, chest rising and falling heavily as she looked up at the dragons, who were obviously not free when she left. "The Dothraki found me after Drogon landed. I was taken to Vaes Dothrak and was forced to be with the Dosh Khaleen, until Jorah and Daario arrived. The Khals are dead– I burned them all alive. I am theKhaleesi now."

Saera stared at her, expecting more. Her story would come with more details, she was sure. As interesting as the smallest parts of it sounded, she had a burning question ready to fly out, "And what of Jorah?"

Her expression dropped. "Ser Jorah did not come back with us. He could not. When he was bringing Tyrion to Meereen, they passed through Old Valyria. He was infected with greyscale by a Stone Man."