Interlude: Atlantis

Part Two

*****

Three days.

She only had three days to do her mission. It would be the first time that a pure Atlantean would go into the surface, and took a risk to survive there, literally. She didn’t know what would be the outcome of her journey, or even had a good possibility that she would see her brother there, but at least she had that one slight chance to do so. She had to try.

She was scared and her trembling hands were on her lap. Her heart constantly beat too fast. And her thoughts went crazy for a moment. Just stepping on that scary shore made her breathing rapid and shallow, just one step of that seawater would make her a mermaid again.

“Are you ready, my Queen?” Adolfo asked her.
Minerva watched him standing beside her. His dark hair that has tousled griminess which promised finessed. He had strong arched brows and eyelashes so thick, it made her asked herself how lucky she was to have him by her side. That almost into perfection guy from inside and out, who could melt any female Atlantean’s heart. She tried to give him a short grin. He was here, accompanying her secretly in the reverse gate of the city. They’re been here for an hour. 

 “If only I can help you there. If only there is a way that I can take your place and find your brother. If only these limited powers can work too in any Atlantean, but it’s not. If only—“

“You know you can just call me, Minerva.” She interrupted with his worries. She could feel his deep tension.  There would always be the first time for everything. “And I’m already prepared for this one. You know that. You should not worry about me. Worry about this city while I’m gone. They need you.”

Honestly, Atlantis needed a ruler like him than her. He’d been serving the city for hundreds of years. He was the trusted soldier  and  bestfriend of his older brother, Kinos. He protected Atlantis without asking anything in return. He had been a guardian and a savior to her as well.

Kind. Gentle. Yet heroic.

Without Adolfo, running the city would be impossible for Minerva. A great advisor and a brave warrior, but then she watched his eyes, full of anxiety. She began to wonder if she deserved his kindness.

A muscle twitched involuntarily at the corner of his right eye, his mouth formed a rigid grimace upon her. “I’m not talking about seeing him. I’m asking about what you’ll do, after seeing him. Ayden is still your brother. And even if he is the most vigilant freak of us all, I know you still care for him. Our Atlantean Law had strong foundation. Any of us who committed a crime, and do things against each other can lead to execution.  Loyalty is the main foundation of us. And my Queen, the former prince won’t be exempted for this.”

She wasn’t a traitor. She could prove it. “I know,” she answered in a low tone. She watched the main gain of Atlantis in dismay.

“You have to do this in order to prove to the city that you aren’t a traitor.”

Upon hearing his words, she clenched her fists tightly, until her nails dig into the palm of her hand. But she barely noticed. The only thing she was aware of, was the thud of her heart aching against the cage of her chest.

“I know you are.”

“You don’t have to remind me.” She gradually took off her beautiful crown made of various gems and jewels, unto her head and handed it to Adolfo. “I won’t need this for a while.”

“It hurts me to know, that I cannot protect you there, Minerva,” he spoke with a gentle voice. “It hurts me more seeing you suffer like this. I know you’re innocent. If only I can say to our people that this mission is pointless, but you know our Law.”

She heaved a deep sigh. One way or another, if she couldn’t bring back Ayden and his beloved wife, her life, too would be at risk.

“Once you use the stone on your neck, there would be no going back. You’ll have feet outside Atlantis. You’ll be vulnerable with those humans. And you have to live with them for three days. That world is too cruel for our kind. Mermaids they caught were being sold out or they do experimenting.”

“I’m not weak.” But even so, his over protectiveness gave her a warm feeling deep within. “We’ve been studying human’s culture and lifestyles for years. We do some various researches, and learn how they live up there. You don’t have to get worried sick. I may be a fish out in water, but I’m not a stupid fish.”

“I know,” he said with an apologetic tone, “But, you are our queen. You are the only left who has royal blood. You must be careful there. And if you think you’re in danger, use the necklace to get back here as soon as possible.”

“You have forgotten that I still have my powers.” She paused for a moment. She wasn’t the only one. Ayden too had the blood of their former queen. After all, he was an Atlantean demigod prince.

“And water is limited in the surface, my Queen. Please be careful.”

She nodded to Adolfo as she took one step into the gate. “I will.”

Instead of debating her all over again and added another reminders in her list, Adolfo pulled her closer into his lean arms for a tight hug, “I will wait for you.”

It was so warm that she could feel the heat of his body. It was a kind of embrace that she needed for now. Adolfo was a good friend. Somehow, there were feelings that couldn’t demand or even control.  There are things that shouldn’t put in force no matter how one should want it. She hugged him back before he finally released her.

It was time to let go.

The gold gigantic gateway gradually opened, just enough to fit her body. Half of it was already soaked in water, and the upper part of it leaded to a stair which was made out of volcanic stone. Minerva walked below those stairs, and her legs turned into a bluish, sparkling fish tail as soon as her feet touched the cold water.

She waved goodbye to Adolfo before she swam outside, towards the shore. From this point onwards, there would be no Adolfo to protect her, no Atlantaen gurads to guard her. It was all about her, and this journey.

A path, perhaps. Or maybe a choice.