Chapter 10

All of them froze at the sight of Adolfo’s deadly grins. Ayden was powerless. Edmund had no strength to fight, and Minerva had lost her powers.

        Minerva saw how her future groom moved too fast and kicked Adolfo’s abdomen, before he grabbed her and held the blade to her throat, too near with her necklace. He cut a gimlet gawk at Adolfo face, “You won’t have her, human.

        Minerva cringed as Adolfo’s eyes was getting paler and his hair was getting darker..longer.  She leaned back against him, away from the sword. They were so close that she could feel his breathe on her neck.

        “If you’ll kill me, you won’t have Atlantis. You won’t be a king.”

        “Do you even think that I care now, my Lady?”

        Minerva frowned at his words and never thought that this man had tricked them all. The way he stared was enough to bring tears to her eyes. It made her heart sank to the bottom, drowning her in.

        She saw how Edmund tried to get up and pushed himself out of the floor and ran towards them, but he didn’t come close before a dark aura blocked his way. Like magic, this unseen force slammed him through the dungeon’s hard cell, he growled out of pain. Atlantean’s magic.

        “I should have killed you back then.” He was looking at Edmund while still holding her. “I should have killed you all before when I had the chance.”

        “First was the king…” he laughed, on his confession, “We killed him. It was a clean murder though when this stupid human came out of nowhere and witnessed what we have done. I thought Kinos killed this worthless…”

        “Kinos?”

        “And why are you so shocked, my queen? Would you ever think that he’s pure? Are you really that stupid? Kinos hated you all. He hated you more than he hated his twin brother.”

        “You’re lying!” She swallowed hard of the bitter truth. Her voice was thick with grief. Her love ones died because someone was murdering them. And the sad truth was, she was helping him too. He used her…and he used her well.

        “Kinos, the son of a bastard who wanted everything,” Adolfo continued, “I was about to kill him too when this gorgon monster came up and gave me this one hell of a help. You see, she accidentally turned him into a stone for defending herself. But since she’s a monster and you’re big brother over there is pretty much the same as her, no one believed them.”

        “You will pay for this!”

        “Indeed! Atlantis will pay me good after killing you all here. And these dirty secrets of mine will remain in your grave,” he laughed wickedly. “You will die in this rotten place and I will be their hero. Slaying their fugitives, no Atlantean soul will mourn your deaths. And I will only tell them that you, my Lady, was been killed by your own brother. They will believe my words just like you believed me in slaying your brother. It’s time to end in this…”

        He pushed her away towards Edmund and held the device that could kill them all. That device, controlling their necklaces, would definitely end their lives.

        “I never thought that I can actually use this piece of shit,” he laughed even more as he tightened the device.

        Without faltering, he immediately pressed its tiny button.  His look was cold and frightening looking down upon her. His body was having a massive electrical shocked making her to cry out of too much hurting. Minerva heard someone was yelling her name but her senses were out of control. The pain was encircling inside her body making her to fall from the ground. Her eyes watered from the twinge, and her vision was becoming blurry. She wanted to stop the pain. It’s like her neck was heavy and necklace turned to prickly form that it hurt her more.

        “Say goodbye, my queen.” She heard Adolfo’s voice but she could barely blink her eyes to open.

        “I won’t let you kill her…” it was almost like a whisper to her ear. Even her ears had a hard time hearing. Minerva tried to open her eyes and saw Edmund launched himself and caught Adolfo about his waist.  The two of them went tumbling. As they wrestled, the device flew through the air but she saw Adolfo’s rage trying to keep the fight on. Before she could think for more, she realized that the necklace on his neck wasn’t working on him.

        Of course! How could they forget? These Atlantean devices were made only for Atlantean and Greek bloods. Adolfo was a plain mortal. She saw his eyes flared as he saw how she was badly hurt.

        This had to stop. With all those little strength she had, she gathered herself and reached the device, a few feet away from her. This had to stop or Edmund will be killed.

        But then again, just about time when she held the device and pressed it again, it was too late. Adolfo’s sword was buried deep into Edmund’s chest. Minerva couldn’t breathe for a full heartbeat as she saw Adolfo’s wide grins before he dipped the sword even more.

        It was too late.

        She saw how Ayden went lose after he broke free with the necklace and flashed himself outside and kicked Adolfo before he flashed themselves inside the dungeon, put the necklace on his neck, and prisoned him there.

        Edmund almost had a lifeless body. She couldn’t stand how he still gave her a smile so full of tenderness before it finally closed.

        “No!”  She screeched, screaming for denial.  Her heart never believed this to happen. She couldn’t afford losing him now. She ran towards him before her heart finally gave in. The only man who never left her side; the only one who made her feel special, the only one who would take risks for her; she cried out loud.

        “Ssssshhh…” it was almost to whisper, “D-Don’t cry.” He spitted some blood out and his heart was now slowly pumping, “It’s not right to cry over a human, your highness.”

        Her entire being was screaming in agony wanting to hope for a life. A life for him. A life for them. But that kind of life didn’t exist.

        “No worry,” she said trying to give him a smile, “I will heal you…”

        But he moved his hand through her skin and gently stroking it, “W-we both know you can’t. I’m not an Atlantean. You can’t heal me, Minerva.”

        “Come on,” she started howling. She held him gently while his blood was staining the whole area, “Come on, you stupid! Don’t die on me.”

        The pain of the thought of him dying shredded her heart. Minerva couldn’t stop herself from weeping.

        “I wish I was a bit stronger and had fighting skills that your brother has, maybe I protected you more.”

        Minerva shook her head.

        “Shhhhh. Don’t say that. You did well,” she closed her eyes trying not to believe this, “You’ll live.”

        “At least I have the chance to see you once again before I die…” he stoke her cheek with his thump, “At least I can still finally say…how much I love you.”

        Then she felt it… the last expulsion of breath from his body.”

        “I love you too…”