Chapter 1: The Queen's Pain

Chapter 1: The Queen’s Pain

Pure love was something that Minerva merely wanted. However, it was the same love that had hurt her, broke her, and whether it was by accident or intentional, it wouldn’t change the fact that her life would never be the same.

Love was like wanting hope out of hopelessness, and wanting to hold on to something that didn’t exist anymore.

For Minerva, love was an impossibility; no matter how she wished to, how she dreamt of, and how she prayed for, it just wouldn’t be. She was so tired of trying and wishing. So damn tired to witness how love shattered her into million pieces; breaking her apart, bit by bit, piece by piece, until the only thing left of her, was her poor soul living completely in nothingness. She was alone, and no one would understand what she felt deep within. Feeling like she was dying, but at the same time, she was still breathing. She was struggling to grasp for air. And it was hard and getting harder with each passing day.

Behind her tough façade, she was frail, in pain and mislaid. Her heart barely beating, her feelings numbed… Insanity willed over her. She was the newly crowned Atlantean queen, which she never dreamt of. A pitiful queen with no sovereignty, a queen with no love, and a queen slowly drowning from her loss and miseries – how could she ever rule a city? 

It was such a great responsibility that even she couldn’t know why she ended in this cruel fate – how she ended completely wrecked. And even if how she thought things over and over again, she would never be the right queen that Atlantis needed. She would never be the good sister that her bother would be proud of. And she would never be the simple yet contented being that she longed for. She was trapped in her own life’s aviary.

An Atlantean queen is supposed to be strong; that no matter what would happen, whatever the decisions might be in the future, she would still endeavor to accept with what was left from her shredded heart… from her dying soul.

And those things were too much for her.

Way too much, for a queen who had lost too much as well…

***

Minerva closed her eyes and took a deep breath, before she stepped along the grassy path bordered with untamed rose bushes. To live outside her world and to ogle towards never-ending horizon made her heart skip a beat, as she devoured every beauty of nature that she could only see in the surface. Feeling the mellow September sunlight on her pale skin, taking a good glimpse of vivid flowers, and staring at those crimson trees far longer than she’d planned; she was slowly captivated by everything she’d seen for the first time. Who would have thought that an Atlantean queen could make a step away from her cursed homeland?

Yet, she was not here for all of these heavenly creations. She was cursed, abandoned, and betrayed. She was here for one mission and that mission alone.

“It’s too early for you to wake up,” a deep, sultry voice made her eyes blink for a couple of times, before she turned around, and met Dr. Edmund Phoenix’ eyes, “Why don’t you try to sleep again, your Highness?”

There was magic in that deep, voice. Such voice that could make Minerva’s knees weaken all of a sudden. Her breathing becomes rugged when her curious blue eyes met his deep, striking, green ones that seemed to penetrate her.  Dressed in a pair of black jeans and a tight, white T-shirt, he wore his long-wavy black hair into a ponytail. He had these sharply chiseled features that even she had hardly thought that this man was a complete nerd when she’d first met him. He still had his eyeglasses that added to his high intelligence in his aura. Edmund for her was something to remind her that there were still a few men, Atlantean or not, who had a pure soul.