sixty-four | the morning after

"Well, you look happier than when you left, so I'll take that as a good sign," Emily said with a smile as you and JJ walked in. "How was your date?"

"It was good!" JJ sighed happily. "How was Amelia?"

"She slept the whole time. I had the monitor, and I went in a few times to check on her and make sure everything was okay. She's an angel. How are you feeling?" she asked you, touching your arm.

"Better. A lot better. Thank you for doing this, Em." You looked between her and JJ. "It did help to get out of the house for a little while. I'm really glad we got to do it."

You and JJ insisted on paying Emily for her time, and once she left, you grabbed glasses of water to take to bed. You both took off your makeup and dresses, brushed your teeth, put on pajamas, and tiptoed into Amelia's nursery. You watched her little body expand and relax with each even breath. JJ's hand touched your upper back, and when you looked over, she was smiling so warmly at your daughter. Her hand drew a path down your back and reached to take your hand. She led you out of the room and into bed.

"I love you so much," she said, snuggling up with you under the covers.

"I love you too, Jenny,"

"Thank you for humoring me and going out. I know it wasn't exactly what you wanted to do, and I know you were anxious, so thank you for trusting me and trusting Emily and going on a date with me. I'm sorry if I pressured you too much,"

"No, you didn't. You pushed me out of my comfort zone a little, but it was a good thing. I needed it. I loved our little date. I like when we get dressed up, and you look pretty and I can look pretty for you. It's a nice confidence boost, seeing the way you look at me. And you're always beautiful, but you in that black dress and the lipstick that looks so good..."

JJ chuckled, "I love making my wife's jaw drop when I can."

You grinned from ear to ear. "Whenever I remember we're married — that I'm your wife — I swear, I get butterflies. It's such a good feeling,"

"Yeah? I'm glad,"

"I feel really safe with you. It's so relieving to be yours."

She hugged you closer and kissed your head. "Good, love. That's all I've ever wanted." Neither one of your could stop smiling. "Now, we should probably get to sleep, yeah?" You nodded. "Good night, my love,"

"Night, Jenny. I love you,"

"I love you too."

Amelia woke up around three, and while you both woke to her crying, JJ told you to go back to sleep and that she would take care of her. She came back to bed a while later, but you were already asleep. When you woke up later, JJ was sleeping soundly, arm draped over you as your head laid gently against her chest. You could feel her slow, steady heartbeat and her breath against the top of your head. The golden light of a calm morning was so beautiful, especially when it was spent in your wife's company. You closed your eyes again and dozed for a while. JJ's alarm went off at 9 — Will would drop Henry off at 10, and she preferred to be somewhat put-together and ready, not dividing her attention between her morning affairs and her first little while with her son.

She groaned as she shut off the irritating alarm, and rolled back over to snuggle with you. Processing your presence in her arms put a smile on her face, and she kissed your head. "Hi,"

"Hi, Jenny. Thank you for taking care of her last night,"

"Yeah, I knew worrying about her exhausted you yesterday. It took a lot out of you. You needed a good night's, love. How are you?"

"I'm good. You?"

"Good. I wasn't up for long with her. She just needed a change, and then I sat with her for a little while and she was out. What do you want for breakfast?"

"Mmm...we can do waffles. It's easy,"

"Okay. Can we stay in bed for a couple more minutes?"

"Whatever you want, Jen. Sure,"

"Just as long as we're ready when Henry comes. We can eat breakfast once he's here, but I don't wanna be looking like I just crawled out of bed. I won't feel like myself,"

"I know," you said. "Hey, if you wanna go back to sleep, I can..."

"No, no, I'm good. I just wanna snuggle with you for a few minutes. It's so comfy, being here with you."

You had to pull yourselves out of bed after a couple minutes, knowing you would lay there forever if you weren't careful. JJ poured you each a glass of juice. After a couple minutes, Amelia started crying, so she went to go get her. You volunteered to make breakfast while JJ played with your daughter. You could hear her talking to Amelia, asking her silly questions and singing silly songs. It made you smile.

You put Amelia in the carrier and wore her on your chest while you and JJ ate. You rubbed her little back and kissed her head every once in a while. Sitting across from you, JJ looked on with love. Just after she washed her plate and had sat back down at the table, there was a very quiet knock at the door, followed by a less gentle one. You and JJ knew immediately what the conversation had been between father and son on the stoop, and she answered the door with an amused smile. You heard Will tell her that he wasn't trying to be rude, knocking more; he just wasn't sure if you would hear Henry's tiny fist so carefully knocking. JJ chuckled and told him it wasn't rude at all, and asked Henry if he'd had breakfast yet.

"Uh-huh! I had bacon and scrambled eggs and yogurt and potatoes! Daddy gave me extra bacon," he giggled.

"Whoa!" said JJ. She picked him up and gave him a kiss. Will put Henry's backpack down.

"Morning, Y/N," he said, giving you a wave. You waved back and said good morning to him and Henry both. "Well, I'll see you next week, bud, alright? You know Daddy loves you?" He kissed Henry's head, tousled his hair, said his goodbyes, and left you with that sweet little boy.