002

Breakfast is prepared and the guests start to come downstairs one by one. Everyone wishes me a good morning, I smile back at each and every one of them. I grab a cheese sandwich and walk upstairs to my room. It's loud downstairs, so I close the door behind me. Everyone seems to be so excited for the games today, and I must say, despite the fact that I have limited interest in football, I'm quite excited as well. I sit down on my bed and glance over at the black leather booklet that's been sitting on my night stand. It's so tempting to open it. I take it in my hand and investigate the binding and the cover. There seem to be initials carved in gold on the front. I open the book and see all kinds of dates. It's a journal and the first piece is written a few months ago, somewhere in December. I start reading it, just because I can't contain myself.

14th of December 2009

Dearest reader,

I only realize just now that I have never kept a journal, especially not for anyone in specific. I just bought this little booklet today. This idea had been spinning around my mind for a while and I thought was a great idea to just write down my story, my plans and my thoughts. And it's even more difficult to do so in English rather than in Spanish. So mind the mistakes I will make in the language, it's not my first. I'd better start with an introduction: My name is Fernando Torres, the international football player from Spain. I've been born and raised there and I don't think I'd ever want to live elsewhere. Today is the game against Canada, and I really hope we're going to win, not sure how to, because I haven't been quite as well as I used to be, but I'll try to score. For you, whoever you are. This is a very important game for me.

15th of December 2009

Dearest reader,

It seems like forever that I have actually talked to someone close to me. Even though it was only yesterday, a few hours ago actually. It's a little over 12 now. I have been banned from the game and I had to leave the field, which made me feel terrible. Have you ever felt like you wanted to run away from all the sorrow and the pain? From all the blame that you never do well. I just want to run away from everything and I have been feeling like this for a while. I'll just change my name, cut my name. Stop football... I don't think I can do this for much longer. I'm sorry.

So Roberto happened to be Fernando Torres? That seems rather impossible. I have had the missing football player in my house and I didn't even notice. I recognized his face, but not as Fernando Torres. And now he is gone. Great. I turn the page of the journal and continue reading a bit.

16th of December 2009

Dearest reader,

I got away. It took some time, because of the coach who happens to be all around. He has eyes EVERYWHERE. He doesn't want one of the players to get out without his permission. But I left the hotel and got away. I'm sitting on the beach now, 40 kilometers away from the hotel and no one recognized me. Yet. The sunset is beautiful though, I'd share it with someone if I could. But not now. It would have been too much of a risk.

I readjust myself and sit up. Just as I wanted to continue reading, I hear my mother call me from downstairs.

"Alexandra, could you come help me please?" she calls out. I sigh and put the journal back on the nightstand. I look at it for a split second and then take it again and put it under my pillow as that seems like a safer location. I'm not going to tell my mother about it. I could possibly tell Hailey, but she has some strange connections through her brother that it will probably end up at the Spanish national team. So I'd rather not.