Chapter 1

My name is Doug Carter, and I didn't know stability felt this good. The same home, in the same town, with the same family and friends. It feels really good, but it wasn't always that way. Life isn't perfect, but... maybe I should explain.

We were fifteen year-old high school sophomores when we first met. It was early January, the first day of the second semester, and I was new in school. It was on that first day that Amanda Miller introduced herself. She was intent on being my friend, and wouldn't take no for an answer. She thinks everyone needs friends. I was closed off. I didn't let anyone get close. Being an only child, I kept everyone at arm's length. That meant all of my relationships were superficial.

"Excuse me, you look lost. I don't remember seeing you here before. Are you new?" I nodded.

"It's my first day here."

"Where is your first class?" I showed her my schedule, and she smiled.

"I'm in that class, too. Follow me." She grabbed my hand and started walking. At first I wasn't sure what to think. This girl was very assertive, but also very pretty. She was average height and build, with wavy, shoulder length, dirty blonde hair, and lively hazel eyes. There was a warmth in her smile.

"My name is Amanda Miller. And you are?"

"Doug. Doug Carter."

"It's nice to meet you, Doug. I hope you will like it here." I shrugged.

"Just another school."

"So where did you move here from?"

"Out of state."

"Do you have any siblings?"

"Nope, I'm an only child." She didn't let go of my hand until we were in the classroom.

Amanda and I had a few classes together, and the teacher in one of them asked us to choose study partners.

"You and your partner will have several joint assignments over the course of the semester. A few of those assignments will require you and your partner to get together on weekends." Amanda chose me, and didn't give me a choice. The classrooms in that school had tables just big enough for two people to share them, and stack-able plastic chairs. Amanda walked over, and sat down next to me.

She said, "I think you will be a good partner."

Later, Amanda found me waiting in the lunch line.

I asked, "So what's good here? Or maybe I should ask what I should avoid?" She recommended the grilled chicken salad. We were sitting together, eating, when Amanda asked where I lived.

"It's at the end of Pine Cone Place. It was built to be a group home, so it has four bedrooms." At that moment, a guy walked up and addressed me.

"Hey, dude! You don't want her. She has a kid." He walked away. I turned, and looked at Amanda.

"A kid?" She nodded.

"Her name is Brenda."

We were assigned a project at the end of class on Friday, which was due at the beginning of class on Monday. Saturday morning, I drove to her house. Her parents, Ron and Esther, had just left and wouldn't be home before I went home. But her "daughter," Brenda, was there with her. It took about six hours to complete the project, and when we were finished, I left.

Brenda was eight years old. She's a special needs child. She's completely nonverbal, and a bit of a runt. She has straight, golden brown hair, and the same expressive hazel eyes as Amanda.

Her jaw is a little narrow, and because she has an overbite, her lips stick out. She's also a happy-go-lucky little girl, with a warm heart and a zest for life. She's very friendly and outgoing. She loves easily, and once she attaches herself, you have a friend for life. She believes Amanda is her mommy.

Brenda was being quiet while Amanda and I worked. She colored, played with her dolls, and simply behaved herself. Occasionally she'd come over to see what we were doing, or ask for a drink. She still used a sippy cup. She handed it to me.

"Hi, Pumpkin. Need a refill?" She nodded. I turned to Amanda.

"What can I fill it with?"

"Water. She's had enough juice." I filled it at the sink, put the lid back on, and handed it to Brenda. She smiled at me, and went back to her coloring. We had hot dogs for lunch, and Brenda got a little catsup on her face. I grabbed a paper towel, and ran a little water on it. I wrung it out so it wasn't dripping.

"Come here, Pumpkin." I gently wiped the catsup off Brenda's face. I couldn't read Amanda's expression. When it was time to go, Brenda wanted a big hug. At school on Monday, I asked Amanda about Brenda, but she wouldn't talk about their past. She did tell me Brenda wanted to see me again.

Three weeks later, the teacher handed out an assignment that would take all weekend. It was a week after my sixteenth birthday, which is February 7th, but a couple of weeks before Amanda's. Her's happens to be February 28th. It was a three-day weekend for us, because Monday was an in-service day. The assignment would require all three days. It was due on Tuesday, at the beginning of class. Since Amanda's parents were leaving for a work-related event out of town, Amanda asked if I could stay at her home for the weekend. After discussing it with our respective parents, Amanda and Brenda were invited to stay at our home for the weekend.