10. the lost ones

Gabriella 'Raven' Ramirez

Times like these I often wonder what my life would be like if I had been left on someone else's doorstep or even if my biological parents would have kept me. I sat across from my aunt at one of her favorite restaurants. She stared at me with those cold calculative eyes of hers. She was dressed in a designer two-piece pantsuit that complimented her petite figure. My aunt is not a bad-looking woman. She is actually gorgeous, model gorgeous but with that ugly heart of hers, I could not think of anything nice to describe her.

I wore a pair of black stiletto red bottom heels, a gift from her, and a form-fitting long-sleeved sweater dress to match. My hair is atop my head in a messy updo and I wore minimalistic gold jewelry to compliment my choice of clothing.

"Are we going to talk or are you going to stare at me the entire time? In that case, we could have done this over a FaceTime call", I stated.

She smiled softly. "Ah, there goes your mother's tongue. I would have thought that you would have your Papa's character, but I see a lot of that hot-headed mother of yours in you", Auntie icily retorted. Auntie and Mama never got along.

True to my aunt's words, Mama was a hothead. That was one of the biggest reasons she disliked my mother so much.

In her eyes, Mama was too reckless. Recklessness led to being sloppy and that was a big no-no for my aunt. However, my aunt knew that Papa loved Mama and would never leave her. Therefore, my aunt had no choice but to suck it up in regards to their relationship. Nonetheless, the dislike between the women was mutual. Mama had her reasonings for disliking my aunt and they are very valid.

Regardless, in Papa's words, we are family. Mama knew how important family was to Papa so she tolerated my aunt. That was how much she loved and respected him. I remember once Mama had muttered under her breath that she would not even spit on my aunt if she was on fire in front of her. That was how much her dislike for Papa's sister ran. Despite this, Mama did not hate the woman, but I do.

"That hot-headed woman is the apple of my Papa's and mine's lives. When you speak of her you address her properly by her name. Anyways, I know that you did not miss my beautiful face. So why did you call me here?", I haughtily replied.

My aunt's smile fell slightly giving me much joy. However, I knew better than to let it show.

"Gabi, you speak so cruelly to your dear aunt. I was merely stating an observation. Anyways, I have a request of you."

"No", I declined.

"My dear, you did not hear my request, and you know I haye being told 'no'", Auntie softly said.

"My answer still remains the same. Is that all you called me for?", I retorted taking note of my aunt's tense frame.

She was upset. Good for her. I am not folding to her will like everyone else typically does. I am stronger than that. If she wants someone for whatever she was 'requesting' she can find someone else because it will not be me. Unt-umm, get somebody else to do it.

"My darling, I will be sending you the details. We are family and family helps one another. Sacrifice, for one another. Your Papa would be so disappointed that you turned your back on family, Gabriella. You can remove yourself from my presence now. I will cover the bill and send you the information for that request soon", My aunt dismissed me.