II. Billy

Never would you expect Billy Hargrove to be the one who would do anything to see a girl smile, especially if that girl was Adrienne.

I watched her smile at the lit boardwalk as her eyes were mesmerized by all the pretty colors and lights lit by the pier shops and restaurants. Oh, how enamored he was. The butterflies that fluttered in his chest every time she squeezed his arm tighter, the way her nose scrunched each time she smiled at him, the way her cheeks turned a rosy pink each time he made her flustered with compliments.

"Told you I could be romantic" Billy smirked, his chest puffed out in confidence while Adrienne clung onto his arm, her brown eyes rolling.

"Are you? Then I expect this every Friday night." Adrienne teased leaning her head on his shoulder as they walked along the pier, a stuffed oversized elephant wrapped around her arm.

"Every?" Billy questioned her, nudging her with his arm as they continued to walk.

"Okay, every other Friday." Adrienne giggled as he stopped their walking, pulling Adrienne's arm to spin her back into his chest, his arms wrapping around her to practically bear hug her as they walked, evolving into sharing a laugh.

The words he wished he was able to FIRST almost spilled from his lips. Not that he didn't love her, which he did. But he was afraid.

He's always been afraid to say "I love you" first to say the least.

It wasn't his fault, he knew that. It was his fucked up childhood and abandonment issues fault.

Adrienne understood, of course, how could she not? But there are times when she wishes he can simply say it to her.

"I love you." Adrienne sighed in the comfort of her boyfriend's arms, the chilled wind of salty sea air flowing through their blonde hair, the tightness of their chests growing as their heartbeats began to beat as a whole.

"I love you too my love," Billy whispered, kissing his girlfriend's forehead, eyes brimming with tears that Adrienne couldn't see, grateful for just...HER.

➶➴➷➹

After walking and saying his goodnights to Adrienne at her dorm, which wasn't a far walk since his dorm was right down the hall, he entered his dorm room expecting it to be empty, but instead presented with his now dormant who hadn't even met looked his eyes with him.

"Billy. Hargrove." His tongue ran through the crevasse of his bottom lip, his apparent demeanor of his "Tough Guy" persona he had. The "Bad-Boy, Pretty-Boy". All high and mighty. That never once changed. We all knew that, but whenever he had Adrienne it was the typical "I hate everyone, but you" persona.

"Hargrove? Holy shit man, it's been what? A year since you moved? It's me, Kevin."

"Kevin...?"

"Anderson."

Oh.

OH.

Billy's lips turned into a curl, his teeth exposed as nostalgia surrounded Billy.

His sidekick followed him around, just like how Tommy Hagan did for Steve AND Billy. Rebellious and Popularity surrounded them, but when Billy left...Kevin swore to him he'd watch over his throne. His California throne.

"The King's back." Kevin sounded so in awe of his presence, Billy knew that.

Billy stuck out his hand, Kevin rushing to him. To BOW to him. Firmly gripping each other's fists that brought them to a pat on the back.