Chapter VI

Seoul, South Korea, February 1998.

Kim Hongjoong was far from being emotional. Still, he had to admit that Seoul was dear to his heart, unlike most of the population that, by principle, never ceased to complain about the place. Concretely, the only ones who loved Seoul were those who were not there. And Hongjoong liked that especially. Being a cheerful outcast among the snobs.

His enthusiasm for the little things in life was steadfast. At least, that is what he enjoyed believing until that day. Until he received the call of one of his most efficient informators. He had eyes everywhere, following one single objective : revenge in its rawest form.

-He is in Korea ? (...) In Seoul ?! That's impossible, there must be a mistake. He would never have the audacity to show up here, I know him... Are you categorical ? (...) Use the hard way, don't leave a second to breathe. I want Todesengele back at all costs. Don't shy away from taking as many human lives as necessary. Some blood must be shed.

***

San - or Paul Jung as he'd rather be called - took care to frequent only upmarket areas crowded with tourists in order to not end up alone and harmless in front of them. A few discreet members of a Japanese far-right sect that had previously helped him escape to France were protecting him. He enjoyed Hongdae, that was not a problem. What really annoyed him was that his "guardian angels" were spending their whole days in a very renowned club that they familiarly called their headquarters. Of course, the club was not open 24h/24h : during the night, the usual partying took place, and during the day, many professional strippers used the room for pole dance rehearsals. A show once in a while would not go amiss, the ladies sure had talent, but it was already the third one of the day and it would not be long before his brain exploded hearing the same songs over and over again.

He had been waiting there for so long that the dancers got acquainted with his presence. They nicknamed him Black Hat, according to the snatches of conversation he had overheard at the bar. Sometimes, the manager threw them out for one day or two so Paul just scurried away in another club, knowing full well that no matter what he did, inquisitive eyes would be peeping at him. Whether friends or foe, those eyes bothered him. There was a strange fear gripping his insides since his return to South Korea. He always wondered what had prompted him to make such a gross mistake. How far could his appalling stupidity get him ?

One evening, (well, the night was already advanced enough to be called morning), when the manager had once more kicked him out with an apology, a bouncer who had just finished his shift had intercepted him in the street as Paul was setting off for his next nocturnal destination. The lack of proper sleep was making him extremely irritable but he could not afford letting his guard down : sleeping was putting himself in danger.

-Sir ! the young man called him.

The writer turned his head without saying anything ; the bouncer had no idea of the dangers he was exposing himself to by talking to him.

-My name is Jongho, nice to meet you ! he continued as he bowed.

He bowed back, forcing a smile on his lips. In France, he would have allowed himself to make some friends but in Korea... The situation was more touchy.

-Are you waiting for someone ? he asked when he noticed Paul throwing nervous glances around them.

Once he would have heard him speak, he would notice that his voice was not normal and, just like everyone else, he would pretend not to. Maybe he would even set out to get to know him like Seonghwa, who knows.

-I... Let's say I have problems with questionable people. You should go home. You deserve it, you had a big day.

-Oooh ! Your voice sounds like a ghost's !