Solemnly Swear

Most of my day was spent anxiously waiting for the night. As nervous as I was about sneaking out, I couldn't help but feel excited. James had met up with me after breakfast and told me to meet them in the common room at midnight. He had also said I couldn't mention it to the girls. I didn't plan to anyway as I knew they would try to talk me out of it.

"I think that Slytherin boy is staring at you, (Y/n)," says Lily.

She tilts her head in the direction of the Slytherin table in front of us. My eyes scan the students until I notice an attractive guy staring at me. When our eyes meet, he smirks and his friends laugh.

"He looks like a jerk."

Marlene looks back and waves at him, "Oh, he definitely is. He's hot, though."

"I'm gonna go get ready for bed now," I say, standing up.

James stands up and follows me closely. There's a slight bounce in his step as he leans down to whisper, "Are you ready to see Hogsmeade?"

"Yes, but shouldn't you be fawning over Lily right now?" I ask.

He tilts his head in confusion but quickly nods, "Right, I'll see you tonight."

I shake my head as he gives me a goofy salute and runs back to the dining hall. Ever since Remus told the Marauders I had agreed to sneak out, James has been clingy. I find that I don't seem to mind it as much now. It's nice having friends here.

The Fat Lady ignores me when I tell her the password, "Why are you back so early?"

"I ate my dinner, and now I wish to rest."

She narrows her eyes, "You're the girl that's been hanging out with those troublesome boys."

"I suppose I am," I say, sighing in annoyance.

She still refuses to let me inside, "You all must be up to something."

"We aren't. Now, can you please let me inside?" I ask.

"Naughty girl, you should stay away from those heathens."

The Marauders themselves stroll up, and Sirius throws an arm around my shoulders. He smiles up at the portrait, "Heathens? Is that what you really think of us?"

"My, I truly am offended," James says, resting a hand on his chest.

The Fat Lady finally opens the door, "Go on then. Get out of my sight."

James gives her a mocking bow as we pass through the entrance. The door slams shut behind us, and we all laugh.

"Naughty girl," James says, wagging his finger at me.

I roll my eyes, "Shut up."

Remus sits on the couch, and I sit next to him. James jumps over the back of the couch and slides in between us, "You two have gotten rather close."

"Are you jealous?" I ask, with a teasing smile.

James blinks a few times, "Yes, actually."

I roll my eyes and rest my head against the couch, staring up at the ceiling. I can feel someone staring at me, so I look ahead of me to see Sirius sitting in a chair. His eyes are focused on me, but he seems to be in deep thought.

"It's rude to stare."

He blinks, "Sorry, I was just thinking."

"About what?" Peter asks.

I begin to feel curious as well. Although I haven't known them long, even I can tell he's bothered by something.

"Family matters," he says dismissively.