Part 10

Mia

I was surprised with the ease John got the separation in place, giving me more financial backing, however, it still wouldn’t retain a lawyer past a few consultations. The trade off was that I was under lock and key. His cousin was visiting and my guess is she worn out her welcome with his parents. She was by far the most awkward woman I knew. She talked none stop and it was always hard to follow her train of thought. She’s 56 and if it weren’t for the gray you’d never known. she clearly acted and dressed like a 20 year old.

Now we were in the middle of the desert with no contact to the outside world. I had one more day at this spa and I was going to try and enjoy it. She was in hot yoga so I took the opportunity to get a glow wrap.

All my thoughts had been about Benji and what I would say to him when I saw him. I’ve practice saying congratulations over and over, but I couldn’t mean it.

I know there’s a lot he won’t understand, but I can’t miss this chance to get the thing that will benefit us all in the end. I already can feel his disappointment in me.

I had become friendly with the caterer. She has a bakery in Sonoma I go to often. She was headed my way in a panic. “Mia I need you now,” she yelled.

I looked down at my towel. “Priscilla I’ll meet you in the dining hall after I get dressed.”

“Please God speed girl,” she begged and went on her way back from where she came.

I laughed to myself at her dramatics. I opened my room to see John’s cousin sitting on the floor staring at the door. “Are you okay?”

“Where did you go. I went to get a massage and you weren’t in the room.”

“I got a glow wrapup they don’t do those couple,” I shrugged.

She started to cry. “You don’t like me either do you?”

“Girl, this is a spa we are her to relax not cry. I’m not mad or anything with you. I thought you really wanted to do hot yoga so I just got the glow wrap. I’m going to get dressed and see a friend. Have some wine and sit in the hot tube. Enjoy yourself.”

She nodded and hiccupped. I made my way to my room and got dressed and listened to her go in her room. The second her door closed I was out of my room and on my way to the Café. “Girl, I need your help with this last meal please.”

“On one condition.”

“What?”

“Let me use your phone.”

I got done helping Priscilla and as promised she let me use her phone as she sat out back and smoked. I didn’t know what I was going to say to Benji so I called Ella to check-in.

“Hello,” Ella said.

“Hey it’s me. How are things going? Did Ben get back yet?”

“Mia, what’s going on? John gave Ben a custody agreement,” Ella replied in a soft whisper.

“I know things are off, but I need to do it this way,” I said and I heard Ella groan.

“Mia, you need to leave him now. He is turning your home into a prison. You’re miserable, and you don’t deserve that. I know you think what you’re doing is going to make things easier, but you know he’ll do whatever he has to do to make you stay.”

I knew there was a ring of truth in Ella’s words. However, I couldn’t gamble with my children’s lives. I didn’t have a solid plan of what I was going to do. Things were in motion, but so far from being set. Alyssa and the boys are my everything and they deserve a happy mother.