Part 12

Mia

I stood outside of Dominique’s room with Ella while she tried to explain that I needed to call Benji back.

“Ella, Dominique is seriously hurt. Can we stay focused on her. I can’t believe she got herself into this situation,” I screamed. Dominique had to be put on a respirator and we had to wait outside for it to be removed. She just woken up by the time Ella and I arrived. Not long after the boys came with the kids.

Grant and RJ came down the hall with the kids. I didn’t know why I bothered to tell them not to come. No one listens to me until they are in trouble. “We are bored we’re gonna run to the cafeteria and maybe the gift shop,” Grant said walking past us.

RJ stayed behind and looked at the room Dominique was in. “She’s going to be OK.”

“Why won’t they let us see her. It’s been hours and we still don’t know anything.” Ella was overreacting. We only been standing here for ten minutes.

My dad came rushing towards us in his silk pajamas and overcoat. “Where is she,” he demanded.

I pointed to the room before us. “We can’t go in yet the doctor is in there.”

It didn’t take long for the doctor to re-emerge from the room with the nurse. “Mia, we got her stable and she wants to go home. I think she’s a little embarrassed. Do you know when your mom can get here. We need a parental signature for discharge.”

“I’m her father,” my dad spoke up. “The charge nurse called me.”

“Great, I have some paperwork for you and we’re going to get her a new prescription for a few epipens.”

The doctor led my dad to the nurses station. “Can we go in now. I asked the nurse?”

 “Yes of course.”

“You two go inside, I'm going to help daddy.”

“He wants to act like a father after 15 years of mom doing this on her own. He needs to leave.” RJ said in a huff.

Ella and I shared a look. “She needs us and dad’s here for her. Don’t take this anger in there. Be supportive of her. The doctor already said she’s embarrassed.”

“Fine, I’ll behave.”

“All I ask.”

Benji

I ran down the hall and I saw the twins and Alyssa. They were with one of Mia’s brothers. “Daddy,” Alyssa yelled as she ran to me.

I hugged her tight. “Where’s Mia?” I looked up at her brother and he had a solemn look on his face. “Is it bad?”

“Really bad. They might have to get a plastic surgeon to reconstruct her face. I think they are finally letting her have visitors. Try and get her some flowers. She loves sunflowers. I think it would mean the world to her, Grant said and placed a kind hand on my shoulder.

I brought the flowers and rushed down the hall to the room Grant said they were in. I stood outside the door and prepared myself for the worst. Something deep inside me couldn’t help but blame myself. I should have been there for her. I should have been with her.

I walked into the room to see Ella and their other brother. “Mia, are you OK,“ I asked.

Dominique sat up in the bed and her face was swollen and her neck and chest were covered in hives. “Ohmigod, “ Dominique screamed in terror and covered her face with a pillow. “Get out, get out, get out,” she yelled over and over.