10. You're Grounded

Nova unfolds the sheet of paper in her little blue box, keeping the tags inside so she doesn't lose them. She decides to read the note, even though she knows it will upset her. She can't sleep anyway, what else does she have to do?

Nova,
I figured I'd write you a goodbye letter. You just left my house, and I know I could've told you just how soon this would happen. I'm not sure why I didn't. Since the day you were born, you've filled us with so much joy. I've enjoyed watching you grow up, and I am so proud of you. Through you, I've learned how to raise my daughters, and I thank you for that experience. You were always like a daughter to me and Sarah, and the girls see you as their big sister. Please look after my girls for me. This is a very important mission that you're a part of, and I ask that you don't dwell over me. You need to focus on bringing those kids home safely, not on me. I know it's bad timing, but I can't hold on to life much longer. I'll be watching over you, and I'll be pissed if you end up with any guy that's not Bradley Bradshaw. You tell him he has my blessing, since I'm not sure your father will agree. You make sure those two don't drive each other below the hard deck ever again. Anyway, I am so glad I got to see you grow up, and I am so proud of the woman you have become. Your work at Top Gun has helped so many people survive missions and training, and I am so grateful to have had you on base. Once again, I am so incredibly proud of you, Nova Mitchell.

                         Tell your dad that I died being the better pilot.
                                                                          -Iceman

Maverick looks up from his almost empty whiskey glass as Bradley emerges from the screen door. Brad is surprised to see him still up and outside this late. The sun set hours ago, and there weren't many stars visible due to the city being only a few miles away. Everything was dark aside from the warm light of the porch.

"Hey..." Brad says with a curt nod. Maverick nods back shortly after.

"What are you doing up this late?" Mav asks.

"Couldn't sleep."

"Is Nova up?"

"I don't know. Figured I'd give her some space." He shrugs tiredly and takes a seat in the chair next to Maverick's.

Silence grows between them, and Maverick slowly slides his half full bottle of whisky across the small table towards Rooster. He revives a confused glance.

"Said you couldn't sleep." Maverick shrugs.

Without thinking, Rooster takes a large gulp straight from the bottle, swallowing it without any trace of disgust on his face. It was like he was drinking water the way he so casually dumped three shots worth of liquor down his throat. Mav's eyebrows shoot up, half surprised and half impressed.

"Where'd you learn to drink like that?"

"Probably from you." Rooster chuckles lightly, making Mav laugh too.

"No, seriously?"

"M'not a kid anymore, Mav." Bradley gives him a more realistic answer, and the silence between them deepens. The air is warm, but the coastal wind is blowing towards them, keeping a steady pace as it blows lightly against their faces.

"I guess you guys are all grown up now." Maverick sighs. "You got a girlfriend yet?"

"No, what do you mean? I just took Nova out a few days ago..." Bradley reminds Maverick that he's basically dating his daughter.

"So you're really gonna date her? Like for real?"

"I mean, I hope so." He answers the question honestly. It's a little awkward talking to her father about this, but at least they're not yelling at each other anymore.