15. I'm Scared

"It's been an honor flying with you." Mavericks voice is heard in the silence of the room, accompanied by the crashing sound of the ocean around them.

Nova stands off in the corner near some other staff members, her hands slightly shaking at the dramatic feeling in the room.

"Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing more." He says.

Serious expressions are held all around the room, not one person holding a smile.

"Choose your two Foxtrot teams." Admiral Simpson tells him.

"Payback and Fanboy." He announces. "Phoenix and Bob."

Nova looks right at the four pilots and sees both Payback and Fanboy holding empty expressions. Phoenix and Bob share a worried look, and then Phoenix locks eyes with Nova.

"And your wingman?" Bates calls out.

Nova's breath hitches at the words.

"Rooster." Maverick says, leaving everyone with wide eyes.

Nova's heart stops for a second, and she struggles to hide the clear shock on her face.

"The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that's required." Bates says to the pilots before dismissing them.

As everyone leave the room, Nova starts to walk towards Rooster but changes her mind when she sees her father out of the corner of her eye. His expression was so full of worry. She'd never seen him so scared before, she had grown up thinking he was always so brave. Every time Maverick left for a mission he wasn't scared in the slightest, he was excited even. This time was different and Nova could tell just by the look in his eyes as he stared off into space.

Everyone is gone by now, back to their bunks probably to talk about the mission some more. Just Nova and her father were left in the dark room, surrounded by the heavy feeling.

"Are you alright?" She asks her dad quietly, finally turning his direction.

"I don't know." He answers honestly, looking up from the floor to her concerned eyes.

"I uh..." Nova begins to talk but doesn't know what to say to him. "What made you decide...that?"

"I talked to Penny about it. Talked to Ice, too. They both said I needed to let him fly. And they're right, I can't hold him back anymore." He swallows and scratches the back of his neck.

Nova lets out a short sigh."Rooster's pretty selfless. I figure you know that." She starts.

"I've noticed." He says with a crooked smile, regarding Rooster's tendency to sacrifice himself for his teammates during the training exercises.

"Dad...can you make sure he doesn't do anything...stupid."

"Stupid? He's a smart kid, Nov."

"Dad..."

"I know what you mean. I'll keep an eye on him for you. Maybe you can tell him to not be so damn reckless." Maverick grins.

"You're one to talk." She giggles almost silently.

"Yeah, but I'm Maverick. I can't die, that doesn't happen to me." He tells his daughter, and she almost believes him.

"Yeah, let's hope not. Can you try to tone the maverick down just a little for this one?" She jokingly pinches her fingers together in front of her face, but on the inside she's serious.

"I'll see what I can do." He gives in just a little bit. "Don't worry so much, hun. I will bring back myself, and your new boyfriend, in one piece."

"Thank you, Dad." Nova nods at him before making her way to the door.