4

BEA

Several days later...

The words "Let me explain" were almost always a bad omen when they left Deanna's lips, and in the case of Operation: Face Fiancé, they might as well have been a curse.

"Wait, wait." The fourteenth applicant of the week stood by my door. "Give me one more chance, and I promise I won't like about my past again, Ms. de Leon. I'll tell you about all the drugs, I swear!"

Jesus Christ... I shook my head. Sadly, she wasn't even the worst one we'd interviewed.

"Let's just go." Deanna led her out of the office. "We'll be in touch."

I pulled out my cell phone and sent her a text.

ME: I'm only seeing one more today, Deanns. I'd like to hold onto the rest of my brain cells. Thank you.

I hit send, and my desk phone rang.

"This is Bea de Leon," I answered. "You have two minutes."

"Good afternoon, Ms. de Leon." It was a soft female voice. "My name is Jhoana Maraguinot and I'm with the Evangelista Firm. I'm calling to ask you about your thoughts in regard to my proposal I sent to your office last week."

"I don't recall receiving a proposal," I said. "Did you get a confirmation email?"

"Yes, it was from the Caitlin."

"Caitlin Viray?" I shook my head. I wasn't sure when everyone around me started adding 'the' in front of Caitlin's name.

"Yes, that's the one."

"Hold on for a few seconds." I placed her on hold and called my secretary. "Could you tell Miss Viray to step into my office, please?"

I ended the call before she could answer, and within seconds Caitlin walked into the room. Dressed in a new dress, a fitted beige one that clung to her curves, she crossed her arms and pursed her puffy pink lips.

Jesus Christ...

"Yes, Ms. de Leon?" she said. "Are you checking to make sure I haven't broken away from my chains today?"

"You've fantasized about me putting you in chains?" I asked. "Let's discuss that."

She rolled her eyes. "Nasa conference call ako with one of your estate brokers right now. Anong kelangan mo?"

"I have Jhoana Maraguinot from the Evangelista Firm on the line. She claims you sent her a confirmation email about a proposal I've never seen. I know you're attempting to get fired, but surely there's a better way than hiding proposals from me."

"Wala akong tinatago sa'yo," she said. "Binasa ko yung proposal and decided it wasn't worth your time. Tinawagan ka lang n'ya kasi sinabihan ko s'yang may mas mga importanteng bagay ka pang kelangan gawin than read a high-school level brief. But by all means, if you'd like to take a look for yourself, I placed a copy of it in your cloud. Can I get you anything else?"

Your mouth. "I'd like some coffee."

"Ako rin." She walked toward the door. "There's plenty of it downstairs in the employee café."

I waited for her to softly slam my door as usual, and found the proposal right where she said it was. I managed to make it through the first five lines before surrendering.

I hung up on Miss Maraguinot and quickly drafted an email with the subject line, "If Caitlin Says No, It's a Fucking No."

The second I hit send, an intern rushed into my office with a cup of coffee. She blushed as she set it on my desk, offering me a small smile.