13

Day Ten

My lips were still swollen from the way Bea kissed me on the boat yesterday. I was hoping she would finally give in to my not-so-subtle walks to the bathroom in the middle of the night, but all she'd done was playfully slap my ass on my return trip to the bed. And laugh.

Tonight, unfortunately, was the start of "true business." We were currently sitting across from her mother, her brother, and Deanna, as our guest of honor – Mr. Watson – told the most boring story I'd ever heard.

He arrived in Blue Harbor yesterday, and he'd instantly taken control of this trip. He took Bea golfing in the morning, treated me and Bea's mom to a private brunch, and insisted on a tour of Blue Harbor via boat because he "just wanted to see if Bea was a true sailor." (She was.)

"So, then I turned to my CFO and said, I don't think so!" Mr. Watson ran his hand through his graying hair. "That's my family day!"

Deanna let out a forced laugh, and the rest of us just stared at him – unsure if that was the end of his never-ending story or the unfortunate prologue for another.

"If you'll excuse me," he said, standing up from his chair. "Is there a place I can smoke my cigar before dessert?"

"Me, too." Deanna stood as well.

"I'll show you two to the landing," Det said, lifting Maddie from her chair. She walked by me and lowered her voice. "Okay lang ba matulog si Casey with Maddie tonight? Pinapatanong n'ya sa'kin."

"Okay lang po." I smiled.

"I'll be right back, and we'll get to dessert then."

She led the men far down the hall, and Loel cursed under his breath.

"So, is this the part where we're supposed to continue serving as your props for this Watson dude?" Loel tossed his napkin onto the table. "You never answered my emails about this trip, Bea."

"And I don't ever plan to."

"Then I guess tama ako." He looked at me. "If you'll excuse me, I think I'll pass on playing the role of the loving big brother tonight. I suggest you do the same, Caitlin. I'm sure she dragged you into this bullshit pretend-show somehow." He left the house and slammed the door on his way out.

Bea clenched her jaw and squeezed my hand under the table.

"Do you need to get some air?" I asked.

She didn't answer. She remained still, squeezing my hand every few seconds, cursing in between.

By the time Deanna, Det, and Watson returned to the table, she'd snapped back into business mode.

"What day do you want to look over the final paperwork again, Mr. Watson?" She didn't even bother asking Det and me to step away while they discussed things. "I won't be in Blue Harbor too much longer, and I'd like to spend more time with my fiancé."

"Of course, of course," he said. "Well, I really haven't had that much time to look over all the paperwork."

"You've had over six months..." Bea and I muttered softly, in unison.

Deanna shot us both a look from across the table.

"Well, I guess I could take the next five or six days to look at them. I'll just need you to come golfing with me a few more times so I can make sure I'm making the right decision."

Bea refrained from rolling her eyes. "Whatever you like, Mr. Watson."

"Oh! Well, one thing I would like is a story from you."