IX

I cock my head to the side.

"What's that mean?" I ask. Johnny once again shows off a grin. "I am what you are." He simply states. Oh. That explains that. "How long have you been one?" He asks. I ponder for a moment. "Not long. I don't really know." I state. "Less than a month." Edward states. "You're already letting her out among the humans?" He asks surprised. Edward nods. 

"She has more control than I've ever seen from a new born." He states. There is a loud screech from somewhere in the store. My legs give out and I hit the ground. My breathing picks up and I begin to shake. Flashes of memory run over my eyes. I hear indistinct talking from around me. Someone grabs my shoulder. Suddenly, I am pulled forward. The same sturdy figure is against me. 

The memories I wanted to forget slowly cease. I'm able to see around me once again. I look up at Johnny. "You alright, Doll?" He asks. Still shaking, I nod. I realize I no longer have Pup-pup. I look around for him. He's a few feet away. I slowly get up and walk over to him. I pick him up by his long ear and hold him to my chest. "Do you wanna talk about it?" Johnny asks. I shake my head. 

"W...where did Edward go?" I ask in a quiet voice. "Went to see what that noise was." He replies. A moment passes. "Thank you." I say as I meet his gaze. He smiles. "Never got your name, Doll." He says. "It's Greere." I say simply. "Never heard that one before. It's pretty." He states. I smile this time. "Thanks." I say. Suddenly, another loud sound is heard. This time from behind us. 

I turn to see another vampire...a new born. I quickly walk to Johnny and hand him Pup-pup. "Hold him for me. I'll be back." I say. He scrunches his eyebrows. Before getting a reply, I get over to the new born quickly. "Stop. Now. Before it's too late." I say to the young girl. She couldn't be more than 8 years old. She screeches at me. More memories of another 8 year old girl flash through my head.

She launches herself onto me. I see Johnny in the corner of my eye about to charge at us. "No! Stay back!" I yell at him. He stays ready to do so, but in place. I wrap my arms around her. "Calm down. It's okay now." I whisper to her. We stay in the same position for a few moments. She calms down. She reverts back to what she was before, a little girl. She looks up to me. "I'm sorry." Her voice breaks.

"Don't be. You are not at fault." I reply. A couple stops in front of us. "Is she yours?" I ask. "Yes." The man says with relief on his face instantly. I set the little girl aside gently. I walk up to the couple and look them in the eyes angrily. "Get her away from here, and all people. If you are both too stupid to know she wasn't ready, then you need to hand her over to someone who does." I state harshly.