See Who I Am [Part 1]

Bennett's POV

"And you Bennett, are you comfortable with me escorting you back home?"

That question takes me unprepared. When I return to my senses everybody else is already gone, but Lady Barbatos did not move an inch, nor her kind smile faded as she waited for my answer.

How should I put this without being rude? I bite my lips and force myself to speak, she waited too long. "I appreciate your concern for me Lady Barbatos, but I must decline the offer. I shouldn't be standing near you at all, I could harm you which is unforgivable."

"Huh?" she cutely tilts her head, making a feeble ringing echo in the silence.

"I carry misfortune to myself and to whoever is close to me."

"I am aware of the weight you carry, Bennett. But I must ask, what did you call me?"

"L-Lady Barbatos." I make myself little, I fear so much the idea, even the possibility I offended the god of my hometown and my savior.

"Mh, I am mortified to break your expectations child, but I am not the God of Freedom. He is a male, remember?"

"Y-yes, well I thought that gods could shapeshift throughout eras to stay hidden."

"Good point, I give you that." she approaches me and before I could register it, she ruffles my hair in such gentle manner it almost makes me cry. "I told you my name already, child. Are you able to remember what happened when you were in Kaeya's arms?"

I fall silent and juice my brain to find the fragments of blurry memories I have from when I was rescued. I remember Mr. Jala's insane skills and speed, he could fly so fast to the point of breaking the laws of life. I don't recall how I ended up inside Captain Kaeya's arms, but... Yes, I remember now! When she stood before us and her back seemed to make even the skies bow for how mighty she looked.

Heed my words, mortals! My name is Harmonia, and I have never known defeat!

Those words ring like a scream in my mind, waking me from my remembrance zone.

"Lady... Harmonia...." I use a little of a questioning tone of voice, just because not sure if her name is pronounced that way or my hearing was still damaged by the whole exeprience.

"It is I, child. Good job." she nods proudly and extends her hand to me. "Now that we know each other better, I must ask again: are you comfortable with me escorting you back home?"

"B-but..." I hesitate. My hands carry a curse, I wish not for anything in the world to corrupt such pure soul.

"Please be at ease, little one. I am aware of the weight you carry, still I advanced the question. What your presence do to the world will never affect me, keep that in mind. I will be safe next to you, just the same as you will be safe next to me."

"A-are you saying that if a rock suddenly falls, you won't be in danger? Or if a lightnening strike you will able to avoid it? W-what if the weather gets so bad we cannot go back until I pass out?"

"Shall I prove that my presence will balance your scale?" she crouches and with a smile she adds: "If you wish so, let me have the honor to walk you home. You may choose whatever route you suit better for the testing. However I am sure nothing will happen to both of us and you have no need to pass out."

She sounds so believable.... Something about Lady Harmonia makes me feel safe, better than a home could ever offer to a person. If it's possible for me to live a single day without hiding my pain and the constant worry to be a bother, I'll take it. I take her hand and shyly smile with a nod to confirm her invitation. If I have to be punished, I'll be ready to take it, whatever will be fitting for someone like me.