• 4 •

"Hey Ranpo, do you have a girlfriend?" Kenji asked, they were patrolling the streets for trouble (and for Ranpo's favourite sweet shop). Ranpo let out chortle and patted the blond on the head.

"Of course not, women are too complicated. I can't understand them, especially Yosano. Even if I were to have a girlfriend, there's no way I'd tell anyone."

"Oh." Kenji frowned, and Ranpo noticed his face fall. "I just thought you would tell me, because we're friends and all." Ranpo only gave him a smirk as they entered the sweet shop, the soft ringing of the bell echoing the mostly empty store.

"I'll let you in on a secret kid." Ranpo grabbed a handful of lollies and sour sweets. "I don't find women all that attractive."

Edgar wasn't ugly, Ranpo decided.

He had never seen his eyes, he could have red eyes (just like Twilight, although Edgar keeps telling him that it's a terrible representation of vampires) and he had never closely inspected his mouth for fangs. So when Edgar finally spoke on the train, Ranpo couldn't help but stare at the glistening fangs.

"Are the ADA nice?"

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, you are introducing them to two vampires, one of which is on a sword." Edgar stared at his thumbs. "Are there a lot of members?"

"Aw, is Poe shy?"

"I just prefer my own company." A faint dusting of pink spread across his cheeks, "I don't do well with humans."

"You're not going to lose control and hurt them."

"I know, but you humans are so fragile. It worries me." Edgar sighed, he glanced at Aya, who was in her own little world. She had headphones on, kicking her legs and texting on her phone. He smiled to himself, before turning back to Ranpo. "Why aren't you afraid of me?"

"You need my help, it wouldn't make sense for you to put me in danger." Ranpo pulled a sweet from his pocket and started chewing. "Besides, I don't think I fit your profile for dinner. You choose fugitives and elderly men because you have a moral code, something most humans lack."

"I- Thank you Ranpo."

"Don't worry about it Poe."

The voice from the speaker announced they were approaching Yokohama station, so they began to prepare to leave the train. Aya huffed as she lugged the suitcase bigger than her off the train and Edgar chuckled and effortlessly carried it the rest of the way to the ADA.

Unfortunately, Ranpo is terrible with directions, fortunately, Google Maps was a thing. They were nearly at the office building when Edgar halted, almost frozen in fear.

"What's wrong Edgar?" Aya questioned, finally taking her headphones off. Edgar gave a wobbly smile and dismissed her. Unluckily, Ranpo knows everything.

"Someone from America works at the coffee shop underneath our office."

"How did you-"

"I'll explain another day, I don't feel like gloating right now." Ranpo sighed, pushing the door to the café. The aromas of coffee and sweet treats flooded his senses, making him drool. He placed a hand over his stomach as it grumbled and growled from lack of food. The coffee shop was quaint, a few booths and tables and few stools at the oak bar. The girl with bright, red hair that was thrown back into two large plaits was busy cleaning the coffee machine, humming an English song to herself. Ranpo had a fun prank assemble in his brain and he grinned.

"Oh Edgar Allan Poe, I do say I feel hungry. I know you're rich so can you buy me a cake?" He exclaimed loudly, throwing his head back and let out a whine. Edgar yelped and hid behind Aya in a feeble attempt to disappear from the girl's point of view. The girl swivelled around at the speed of light, mouth ajar in surprise.