Fishlegs's Speedstinger Recovery Log

This story takes place during Race To The Edge when the gang finds the injured Speedstinger. I always wished we got to see Fishlegs bond with the Speedstinger. From my understanding, Speedstingers are supposed to be untrainable, so what happened? Again, this will be kinda rushed. I just want a break from law school reading and want to have fun with these great characters, so I won't have time to edit/proofread and it certainly won't be my best work. But I hope you enjoy!

***

Speedstinger Recovery Log:

Entry 1:

We found the Speedstinger on a nearby island. Hiccup wanted to try the flight suit he built and the island had the ideal landscape for a test-flight: a cliff overlooking a long river bordered by tall rocks, essentially creating a channel for Hiccup to fly down. The tests were mostly unsuccessful, but I have to say, there's some promise there. It would really help us all if we had a way to fly to safety if we're ever unseated from our dragons in battle. But I digress.

During the final test flight, Hiccup found the Speedstinger. It appeared injured and was unable to walk. Speedstingers hunt in packs, and so when they're separated from their pack they become vulnerable to all sorts of predators (note to Snotlout, just because you can't best a lone Speedstinger doesn't mean no one can). We couldn't just leave it there, so we managed to secure it in a cage despite the twins trying to help, and then took the dragon back to the Edge. 

It's always been assumed that Speedstingers aren't trainable. As the resident Dragon expert, it now falls to me and trusty nurse Meatlug to learn how to help this particular dragon get back on his feet and back to his pack. In order to help it heal, I'll have to get close to it. This will be dangerous, but if I can figure out how to keep the Speedstinger calm and keep Meatlug and myself safe, then maybe we can use the knowledge we gain to help other more dangerous species of dragon. 

Ooooh, I can't wait to start!

Entry 2:

When we got back to the edge Meatlug placed the cage carrying the Speedstinger in the dome. The Speedstinger was a bit restless at first, but possibly due to exhaustion or Meatlug's soothing lullaby it quickly stopped thrashing in the cage and fell asleep. It must have expended a lot of energy since sustaining its injury. 

While it was asleep, I gently opened the door to the Speedstinger's cage so that I could better evaluate our patient. Meatlug stood by the door, ready to slam it shut if the little guy woke up. His leg was clearly broken. After taking some measurements, Meatlug and I left to find Hiccup and have him forge a custom splint for the Speedstinger to replace the makeshift one we had attached earlier. I left plenty of food and water for him just in case he wakes up, but I think we'll be back before that happens. We'll let him rest for a while. Meatlug and I need to come up with a plan to train him anyway. Training a Speedstinger will be absolutely historic!

Entry 3:

The splint works! Once again, Hiccup's genius shows itself. He added some extra arch support and now the Speedstinger is up and walking. The little guy even seems to have calmed down a lot since the other night (the dragon-nip may have helped a little as well). I think he realizes that we're trying to help it. We need to work on developing that trust a little bit more, but the splint really helps us out a whole lot. The Speedstinger has been walking around his cage nonstop and keeps flexing his leg. He's still clumsy and needs a lot of work, and I'm confident that we'll be able to get him up and running in no time!

Here are some ideas that Meatlug and I came up with after our daily meditation today:

a) Have Hiccup do the hand move.