A Drop In The Bucket

Hi! It's been a while. Finals were exhausting, and break was even more so. I'm starting classes in two days and should be making a dent in the two books I need to read, but I had an idea for a story about Bucket and Mulch that I wanted to write. So, without further ado, let's return to one of our favorite duos on Berk!

***

"Get away from there Bucket!"

Bucket looked around. The metal bucket that he wore on his head didn't sway at all as turned this way and that, trying to find the person who had spoken. Wasn't he alone? It was just him and the rope he was trying to untangle.

The voice called out again. "Let go of it!" And then, there was a thud as a heavy Viking pounded onto the deck of the ship. The Viking was a foot shorter than he was, but that was usual. Most people were shorter than Bucket.

Bucket now realized he wasn't alone. But what did the Viking want? He thought he should ask the Viking a question, something easy that didn't require too much thinking. As he tried to think of a question, Bucket was distracted by just how red the Viking was. He said, "You look a little red, if you don't mind me saying. Like a tomato. But...maybe a little pinker. Like you've been left in the sun a little too long." 

At this, the Viking turned even redder. Bucket didn't realize people could change colors so much.

The Viking stomped his foot. "I'm not a tomato, Bucket!"

Bucket looked around, scanning the deck. "I don't see any buckets," he suggested. "Do buckets usually go on ships? I wouldn't know. Perhaps you could borrow one from somewhere?"

If it was possible, the Viking got another shade redder. He grabbed his horned helmet and threw it to the deck where it bounced with a clatter. "I'm not looking for a bucket, Bucket! I'm looking for you! Bucket!"

"Oh, I'm a person. Not a bucket."

"Bucket!"

Bucket didn't know how to help the Viking, so he went back to untangling the rope. It was all knotted up. If he had to guess, it had been that way for a long time.

As he began picking at the thick knots, the Viking swatted at his hand and hook. "Leave it!" the Viking yelled. "That's my good fishing net! Caught myself thousands of cod with that! You're going to ruin it."

"Oh, I wouldn't want to ruin it," replied Bucket. He eyed the ropes. "But those are a awful lot of knots."

"Leave it!" 

The Viking reached for the ropes, and Bucket released them. Maybe the Viking would have better luck untying them than he had. 

"I never should have agreed to bring you! But Stoick said I had to."

"I like Stoick," Bucket stated. He didn't know why the large man was always running around Berk telling people what to do, but Stoick seemed to be kind, and he always said nice things to Bucket. If Stoick said something, Bucket didn't think much about it. He just did it.

The Viking snorted. "Of course you would. Chief always always interfering with my life. Well, I won't have it. When we get back to Berk, you're off my ship!"

True to his word, when the ship pulled alongside the pier, the Viking almost pushed Bucket onto the dock. It was earlier than Bucket had expected. He thought he would be spending the whole day out on the water. The sun hadn't even reached the middle of the sky. 

"Bucket!" 

Bucket turned around. There, walking down the long ramp that lead from the village to the water, was Stoick. His beard was just as magnificent as it always was, and the metal scales he wore were coated in dirt and grease.