In The Arms Of Valkyrie

I had a fun idea for a twins story, so here it goes. I needed a break from studying for finals anyway. This takes place during Race to the Edge after the Dragon Riders have met the Wing Maidens.

***

Everything was on fire.

"Retreat! Head to the forest!" yelled Atali. An arrow thudded into the charred wooden bridge she was standing on, causing her to jump back. It was just as well, for a moment later a boulder crashed through the wood where she had just been standing. The bridge collapsed, sending Atali falling to the earth far below. 

Falling was nothing new to the Wing Maiden. She simply relaxed, allowing the young Razorwhip that had been clinging to her back to take over. It spread its wings, and Atali felt her descent slow down, and then reverse as the small dragon carried her higher into the sky.

"Thank you, Wingnut," Atali said, glancing over her shoulder at her savior. Wingnut chirped, but remained focused on his task. 

Atali paused, and looked out over the village. The dragon hunters had been attacking for days now. She had sent a letter to Hiccup to ask for his help, and hoped that he would show up soon. Any help from him and his riders would be helpful. Well, most of the riders - she wouldn't mind if Snotlout or the Twins remained behind. Her fellow Wing Maidens had managed to hold off the dragon hunters for a while, swooping in to disable their weapons and steal supplies, but it hadn't been enough. Somehow, the dragon hunters had caught them, her, off guard. The assault on the village had been swift. Before Atali could do anything to stop it, the hunters had breached the outer defenses and launched flaming projectiles throughout the raised wooden buildings. Now, the fires had spread to most of the buildings. It was so bad that she could hardly breathe. Smoke swirled all around her, threatening to completely encircle her...

Through it all, she saw something shiny in the corner of her vision. Down below, a figure was crawling out from a collapsed building. It was a Wing Maiden. Atali could see that she was clutching a small Razorwhip that appeared to be injured.

"Down!" Atali called to Wingnut, who sped towards the fallen Wing Maiden. 

The smoke was less powerful down amidst the flames, but the heat was much worse. Atali's skin felt like it was burning. Wingnut deposited her onto the intact wooden platform surrounding the collapsed building. The platform was teetering ominously, but it was still standing. 

Thankfully, the Wing Maiden didn't appear injured. She was disoriented from the suddenness of the attack and the amount of fire and smoke. Atali reached out her hand and helped the Wing Maiden to her feet. The younger woman looked at her. "Atali," she said, "I...the dragon...she's injured."

Indeed, the small Razorwhip the Wing Maiden was holding appeared to have a bruised wing. It wasn't serious and could be healed easily, but it also meant that it wasn't flying anywhere any time soon. 

Without any hesitation, Atali signaled to Wingnut. Wingnut leaped from her back and grabbed onto the other Wing Maiden's back.

The Wing Maiden glanced between Wingnut and Atali. "But...how are you going to escape?"

"Don't worry about me, I'll find a way," Atali replied. Before the other Wing Maiden could argue, Atali whistled, and Wingnut took to the air, carrying both the Wing Maiden and the other dragon. The three of them flew away towards the hatchery. Hopefully there they'd be able to regroup with the others.

The fire was closing in. Below her, Atali felt the wooden platform groan with the strain of holding itself together. It buckled, and for a moment it seemed like it would topple, but then it stilled. Atali sighed in relief.