chapter two

EVERYTHING WAS FLOATING. In an attempt to try and control her powers, Amelie would try to raise the loose objects dotted around her private space into the air, letting them hover for a moment, before letting them drop. She did this on repeat every morning, trying not to let anything smash or shatter against the ground. Sometimes, she was unsuccessful.

Her hands were on her knees as she sat crisscrossed on her lilac doona covers, morning sunlight flooding in through her lace curtains. Her eyes were closed, her lips humming a soft tune, while the pencils and pieces of paper on her desk slowly rose into the air. She furrowed her brows as heavier things started to take flight, hovering a mere inch above the ground. Her jaw clenched, her eyelids scrunched tight. She was just about to let it all fall when her bedroom door swung open.

"Milee- Oh my god!" Everything clattered to their designated spots, only a single glass tipping over the edge of her bedside table and smashing against the ground.

"Mum!" She groaned, running her hands across her cheeks with frustration. "I almost had it!"

"Sorry, sorry, I didn't realise you were doing your . . . thing. I'll clean it up," Rosie said quickly as she rushed around the corner to get the broom. Amelie ignored her as she closed her eyes once more, her brain pounding within her skull as the glass shards across her bedroom floor started to shake. She let them tremble, slowly moving across the floorboards to create a small clutter, before her hands tightened around her knees and the shards rose into the air, landing in a neat pile on the edge of her desk.

"I got it!" Her mum shouted as she rushed into the room, broom extended in her right hand, before she furrowed her brows upon noticing the lack of shiny glass. "Where did it go?"

Amelie smiled as she pointed in the direction of her desk. Rosie sighed, letting the broom rest against the floor, as she sent her daughter a look. "You should've warned me, this took a lot of effort."

Amelie merely shrugged as she raised her hand, wiping the back of her palm against her upper lip. She pulled it away, her dark eyes staring down. Blood.